What Version of Windows are you using?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rory, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rory

rory

I'm just interested to see what versions of Windows people are using.

Please put the version of Windows you are using in the first line, and it it's customised (with vLite or nLite) then I can update this post with statistics. Also post any impressions you have of it, and any driver problems, or devices you can't install using the drivers posted here. Then we can all help each other out with problems.

Like I have said in many threads before, I'm on vLited Vista (no SP1), around 1.1 GB on the disc, about 3.2 when installed. It's generally fast, but can't run WLM at all really, and sometimes it just sits there loading nothing for ages... Like now, did nothing for 2 minutes, then opened and closed start menu twice, and went to the ctrl + alt + del screen. so it caught up on the clicks, but it was doing nothing...
    Anyways it generally runs fine, and I can use Opera and Ie on it with ease. Plus, it boots in 57 seconds on the last boot, and it was usable at that time could open start menu, click on things... etc.
    Lastly, driver problems, don't think I have hardware video acceleration, no LAN I think (the device has an exclamation mark in device manager), everything else is ok.

rory, Jul 31, 2008
  2. rory

geekster

I just installed the full version of vision XP Took about 4 hours to install It works but not good enought for me . will try nlite and strip it down

geekster, Jul 31, 2008
  3. rory

hoppanglove

At first, I installed normal XP. It seems ok but It takes around 2gigs.
    As everybody know, Acer_one has small storage. Thus I decided to find other windows, lighter one.
    I found and just installed windowsXP MicroXP_SP3 (it's korean version) - It only takes less than 1gig to setup windows.
    Fortunately My SSD is samsung's one, which is faster than Intel's :>
    There's stalls sometimes while I use windows.
    But It works better than normal XP, I guess.
    It plays divx movie clips well.
    While I was watching 1h movie clip, there're only 2~3 stalls.
    It's not perfect but I can stand.
    All of us have to find better ways to make AcerOne faster.
    I guess our environment will be better when Acer release AcerOne's XP model.

hoppanglove, Aug 2, 2008
  4. rory

bandarako-one

At the moment... acer one, 1,5gb/8SDD/16SDHC, Windows XP PRO SP3, Ramdisk 384, Office2003 and many programs ... about 2,5gb

No System Restore (use acronis to backup al OS to sdhc in 5 minutes, in 1gb aprox -file- )
    No Prefetch :roll:
    No AntiVirus :eek:
    No SFC
    No Themes

Temp dirs and Firefox cache to RAMDISK, Can play 720 movies, about 40seg to start windows.... not bad, but i'm waiting 1,8" Toshiba 60gb.... :mrgreen:

bandarako-one, Aug 4, 2008
  5. rory

geekster

I have tried several different versions of XP and they all don,t work at there best on the aspire one.problems i have encountered video playback double click problems slow responces, I installed a Winlite version 600mb on the cd used fat 32 installed in a little over a hour.takes up about 1.5gb onsd chip Installed KM player.It plays all video file without any problems and the whole system is fast boots up under 60 secs.and i am using 512 memory.I,m very happy now.

geekster, Aug 4, 2008
  6. rory

LindaKay

I have Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop. I can't say that I really have a preference. I don't like either one as much as I like Windows XP.

LindaKay, Feb 26, 2014
  7. rory

Sefie

Right now I am using window 8.1 and no, it wasn't by choice at all. My new laptop came with this OS already installed, so I didn't have a saying. I must say this OS isn't as bad as same people like to say it is, I still prefer my loved windows 7, but I can definitely use windows 8.1 without ranting about it all the time ;)

Sefie, Mar 2, 2014
  8. rory

mikelouis

I normally do not like tweaking my Windows because of compatibility issues. There was a time I tried to tweak it at first it was working great but with time my operating system developed some issues. Currently I am using Windows 8.1 and despite all the negativity about Windows 8, I find it really cool.

mikelouis, Mar 3, 2014
  9. rory

clippingpath12

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and i am happy with that

clippingpath12, Mar 17, 2014
  10. rory

tygh12

Windows 7. I think this is the most suitable version for me. Windows 8 is too fancy, and windows XP is way too old. Windows 7 has been the easiest to operate for me so far so I think this will be the best. Windows 7 :)

tygh12, Mar 31, 2014
  11. rory

Maledictum

Windows 7 Premium on this laptop. 7 is my favorite OS since XP and the idea of having to switch to 8 at any point makes me feel sick.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  12. rory

NeroFerk

I am using Win 7 on my desktop and Win8 on my laptop. I am happy with both.

NeroFerk, Apr 6, 2014
  13. rory

maxparker0

I use windows 8.1 for my laptop. I think its fun to use and do not face any problems with it. The one small glitch, I think, Is that it looks to be designed for touchscreen devices. But that does not really matter much and I'm very happy with it

maxparker0, Apr 10, 2014
  14. rory

mjhunter23

I use Windows 7. I really like it its the first Windows computer I have used and it is very intuitive and user friendly it also has many really useful extra features like you can have two applications open at half screen each which is really useful when editing photos and videos.

mjhunter23, Apr 11, 2014
  15. rory

useruser

Right now, I'm using Windows 7 and I wont be changing for quite some time. I'm not a fan of windows 8. It seems like each version of Windows is either a hit or a miss and Windows 8 was definitely a miss.

useruser, Apr 12, 2014
  16. rory

Rohan99

I current use Windows 8 on my desktop computer and Linux Mint 15 on my laptop. Windows 8 is a great update from Windows 7 and Linux has always been a favorite of mine. Linux is just fast and there are rarely ever any problems. Great look, fast performance and just a great operating system overall.

Rohan99, Jun 30, 2014
  17. rory

TylerH

I am currently using Windows 8.1 and I must say that it is a really good operating system to have. What I like the most about it is the little start menu where you can have all of your applications from the Microsoft store and I also like the side menu where you can check your profile and search your computer. Although Windows 8 does seem to have more of an impact on ram and memory than any other operating system I do think that it is one of the best operating systems to use.

TylerH, Jul 2, 2014
  18. rory

Sefie

You are so lucky! My old laptop is still my fav laptop because i has Windows 7 installed!!! I hate Windows 8.1, it's not true this awful is compatible with most games. Not at all. Having a hard time (impossible to play old games) I'm tired to es with the compatibility mode every time I want to play. I never had to do that on Windows 7.

Sefie, Jul 2, 2014
  19. rory

Sefie

If you like to play games on your laptop then never ever update to Windows 8, you will surely regret it! I know I did. This OS isn't good for gamers at all, unless you love to twitch around with compatibility options and so on every single time you want to play some games.

Sefie, Jul 2, 2014
  20. rory

JayR17

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 preinstalled so I'm currently using that. I also have Windows 7 installed on VirtualBox so there's that too. People always bug me to go back to Windows 7 but that's what VirtualBox is for. Too be honest I find Windows 8 aesthetically pleasing and I enjoy the overall interface. Windows 7 looks nice too but I like both in different ways.

JayR17, Jul 2, 2014
Ask a Question