What version of Fedora am I running?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Habdab, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Habdab

Habdab

Hi, total newbie.
    I just bought the 'Aspire one' and wish to play .AVI files. I was advised to download and install 'VLC media player'. I went to their page and saw a list of Operating Systems none of wich matched the OS shown on the Aspire one. I've sort of figured out that my OS ( Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.3.E ) is called Fedora but I have no idea which Fedora version it is. As the VLC player download files are OS sensitive, I need this information. Can anyone help please. The best help would be to tell me how/where I can find this information on the Aspire one myself, failing that, any help would be apreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Habdab, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Habdab

Guest Guest

FedorA 8.

Guest, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Habdab

scottro

It comes with mplayer which should be able to play avi files. I've always found that mplayer works better than VLC.

Were you unable to play the files with mplayer?

scottro, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Habdab

Darryl

Hi
    if you go into "add/remove software" the package manager will load. Open a search using the tab on top of page searching "vlc" in there are several options one of which is "Mozilla-vlc 0.8.6.1i-1.lvn8.i386 Vlc media plugin player for mozilla..." click and apply. this will automatically install the vlc core and other bits and bobs. there ya go.
    D

Darryl, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Habdab

retsaw

The mplayer that comes with the One is a bit limited, so you need to upgrade it, follow the instructions in this post.

retsaw, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Habdab

Habdab

Thank you all for your help.

Habdab, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question