What to keep and what to delete/remove

Discussion in 'Windows' started by NWO, Jan 13, 2009.

1. NWO

NWO

Hello All,
    I just got my AA1 and I would like to delete any programs that is not needed. Any help would be appreciated :)

NWO, Jan 13, 2009
  2. NWO

Bradskey

Unless you intend to buy them the first things to go would be Office 2007 and McAfee Internet Security. Some people will dump Microsoft Works also, although it is basically provided free to you. You may also opt to get rid of Google Desktop and toolbar, unless you would like to use them. There wasn't much other junk on the device, can't think of anything else major that I removed. Acrobat Reader comes preinstalled, but its useful. You can leave it or replace with Foxit reader. You can get Avira Antivir or AVG free antivirus and ZoneAlarm free firewall software. There are 30 or so security updates you need from Windows update, plus an upgrade to Windows Media Player 11. Beyond that there are tons of free apps you could run on this device.

Bradskey, Jan 13, 2009
  3. NWO

Photomonk

Basically, I agree with the previous poster suggested in dumping. I had my own copy of Office 2003 which I installed, I took off MacAfee and installed Avast, and I despise these add-on toolbars, so that went. And I also agree that the updates to Windows should be done as soon as possible. Other than that not much junk, and I spent longer installing the programs I actually wanted than removing those programs.

Photomonk, Jan 13, 2009
  4. NWO

NWO

Thanks for the info. :D

NWO, Jan 13, 2009
  5. NWO

maxpower2003

I never bothered booting up WMP. I hate that program. I just dl'ed VLC and it's been smooth sailing since.

maxpower2003, Jan 16, 2009
  6. NWO

Forone

After you've uninstalled what you don't want and installed what you want, download a utility called CCleaner - there's lots of discussion of it on this site and via google. Use both the file cleaner and the registry cleaner it provides. Then defragment your disk.

Forone, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question