What software to use to partition my Aspire 160 GB HDD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sissiromy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sissiromy

sissiromy

I just got the Aspire 8.9 with 160 GB and immediately loaded my applications on it. Now looking at it, I would like to have a second partition for my data, and keep the first partition for my OS. (there's a hidden recovery partition that's about 4GB, but I am not touching it) I am talking about the C: drive
    Any way to do that without losing all the applications and data I've got so far? Thanks.

sissiromy, Mar 13, 2009
  2. sissiromy

avio

Try Partition magic (now by Symantec). It's been around for years now.
    Can buy or download from lots of places

avio, Mar 13, 2009
  3. sissiromy

sch911

I use GParted Live. It's a Linux based live boot CD that contains the Gnome partition editor. Handles any OS partition with ease, and best of all it's free. I was able to setup my 160GB AAO for XP and OSX easily.....

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

sch911, Mar 13, 2009
  4. sissiromy

mnimud

I've used Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Director in the past on my other computers.

mnimud, Mar 14, 2009
  5. sissiromy

JimmiG

I prefer Disk Director these days.

I tried GParted Live, but it didn't work on my system. Installing the latest version of Fedora on a live ISB flash drive and then manually installing GParted into that worked, but it's time consuming. It's free, though.

JimmiG, Mar 15, 2009
  6. sissiromy

sissiromy

Thank you for all who replied. I just want to share my experience. I used EASEUS Partition Home editition software which is free to download here:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/
    and it works like a charm. The main menu is easy to use, and if you are extra cautious like me, there's a manual under the help screen to read before you act. I selected Resize/Move and resized my C: drive (~155 GB, because the Acer recovery partition is ~4GB) to a smaller drive of 60GB. Then I selected the unused space and select Create to create 2 more partitions. One for Data, and another one for Backup. I plan to make an image of my drives in this Backup partition using Ghost.
    After I confirmed (the program allows you to discard your changes at will, until you are satisfied) the computer rebooted and the program then format your new logical drives. After that, it rebooted into Windows. I went to Explorer and sure enough I got 3 drives, C, D and E now. It's really neat.
    BTW, I did make an image of my original drive before doing this on-the-fly-partitioning process. I guess now would be a good time to restore the image and see if the image was OK.

sissiromy, Mar 15, 2009
  7. sissiromy

azz2811

i tried the acronis software and it left my computer un-able to boot it did this twice.

the program that i have bee having 100% succsess is gparted as people have already mentiond it is very good and fast.

i would recomend it to anyone

azz2811, Mar 16, 2009
  8. sissiromy

Firo

I also used Easeus sftw couple of months ago to split my C drive. It worked perfectly, happy with it now.

Firo, Mar 18, 2009
  9. sissiromy

kc7cc

Linux is not just an OS , its a complete set of Tools .

Problem today is to scan thru the Linux Luddites to find posts that are not trying to sell somethin.

There is a low level disk tool that is complete . works well , but i dare ya to find it !

Hype .. Maybe the file size is the secret . if ya find the smallest disk tool , maybe success ..

I have 10 AO-Linpus 160 GB ..

If they crash ,simply allow them 2 or 3 minutes to freeze ( repair damage ).

Linpus is repairing the damage ..

Beats WXP BSOD ! Re-Install OS ...

Once i tried to switch off , while it was locked up . Waste of time , simply allow it 2 to 3 minutes ...

kc7cc, Mar 22, 2009
  10. sissiromy

jackluo923

A more simpler way is just to order or download a ubuntu/kubuntu cd. It runs as a live CD and you can use the Gparted without any problem.

jackluo923, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question