what should the average temperature be?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010.

1. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

this is really bothering me because its really hot...i just installed aa1fc and it says its 68°/69° degrees just using firefox...nothing else is loaded in the background because i pretty much disabled everything (webcam files, graphics tray, annoying audio software, etc)

i'm connected through an external monitor since i removed the lcd if that actually adds to the heat problem.

i JUST installed fresh windows so i haven't installed anything except all of the drivers from acer except the on screen one, winrar, ccleaner, defraggler, utorrent, foxit, adobe flash, and firefox

i just don't understand why its running so incredibly warm...

watching videos online it shot up to 75° @_@ and again aa1fc is on with it set to the default 70° on 68° off setting

unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010
  2. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

alright turned the fan on to the lowest and it slowly became to shrink to 60°-58° after a good while. soon as i set it back to the default it was increasing again

again, this is just the netbook idling o_o

just opened everest and it listed the CPU diode at 85°. i turn proceeded to turn it off. gonna open it tomorrow and and see if everything is well. looking for some feedback on what could be the problem

unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010
  3. unp0ssible

Swarvey Moderator

Accordig to Intel's datasheet for the N270 CPU, it's "Catastrophic" temperature is 128 degrees Celsius.

It pretty much has to get to this point before it'll shut down by itself and I'd say not far off it before you start seeing abnormalities in action. At the 60ish degrees you're mentioning, it's pretty much still "cold" at that point. If you really, REALLY think it's a thermal issue, then try something like SiSoftware's "S.A.N.D.R.A" program, which has a burn-in stress test. Which is pretty much designed to push your machine to its limits.

Swarvey, Jul 9, 2010
  4. unp0ssible

bluevolume

Agree with above. The heat may really only be a problem for the user. When they are designing these machines on the cheap, its really only necessary to make sure the components stay within their tolerances. Well, they do need to adhere to some safety standards for the user (it shouldn't actually burn your lap or your furniture).

Run the Resource Monitor for a while and see what your CPU utilization is. The machine should only be getting to those temps when its under high load, which with an Atom platform can be quite often. If you can't tolerate the heat, you might be able to modify the sink on the CPU, add some better thermal paste, etc. Also, if you upgraded using cheap RAM, that could contribute to the overall heat of the unit (though not the CPU temp specifically). Good luck!

bluevolume, Jul 10, 2010
  5. unp0ssible

Forone

The first thing is that every fan control temperature monitor reads differently, and this guy is using AA1FC. So nobody who is not using AA1FC is quite sure what those readings say. I've been using a different fan control application, A1ctl, and it reads 53 at idle, and less than 60 under use, but who knows if it's the same reading as this user's software?

The other thing is that he says it is hot to the touch. That is important, because my machine's keyboard never gets warmer than what you'd like to feel next to you in bed, i.e. the keyboard is noticeably warmer than the lid, but never scary warm. So I'm wondering if "hot" is something really alarming.

With these machines, overheating should not occur under ordinary use (i.e. full CPU use at normal room temperature) and good fan control software should be adjustable to minimize the fan noise but keep it safe. If it's really hot to the touch, I'd be looking for a fan jam or an airflow blockage problem. I always have my machine on a flat surface with good circulation underneath it.

So I'd say, if it's really "hot" to the touch that's a serious hardware problem, but if it's just numbers from software, it may or may not be a big deal, depending on the peculiarities of the software. I've been running version o.4 of A1ctl for a couple of years on this little netty now, and it's been good. (I use the old version because the update for newer BIOS than mine didn't work right.)

Forone, Jul 10, 2010
  6. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

i removed the little thermal pads and used arctic silver 5 thermal paste and the only difference is that it doesn't seem to skyrocket in terms of heat anymore but eventually it does get back to late 50's just idling which was disappointing. i never had this problem on my sisters netbook (which is the same but in white) and i keep it on a wooden surface (desk)

been thinking about doing some sort of heatsink mod but i'm not sure which one would be the most efficient since i have little to no experience on such things in general

could a failing hard drive raise the heat? aoa150 has a problem with vibration and the hard drive and unfortunately this has happened to mine so HD tune reports damaged sectors (444 to be exact) but the temperature of the hard drive itself is usually 35-40 and nothing more. and fan control software i'm using is from the sticky (which the program is reported to run at 1.6 but in actuality its 1.5?)

aside from the hard drive and the netbook missing an lcd i don't know why it gets so warm so fast.

i will try booting from a usb stick and see if it gets as hot just cause i can't think of anything else

unp0ssible, Jul 15, 2010
  7. unp0ssible

Swarvey Moderator

Failing or not, hard drives with platters will generate heat. But given the fact that your hard drive has problems, then there'll be a lot of failed reads/writes and the CPU will end up working harder, even at idle, to ensure the data is eventually written to a good sector of the drive. In basic terms, if your hard drive was 100% functional, the CPU wouldn't have to work as hard and the temperature would lower itself a little, but probably not by much, the hard drive itself wouldn't be working as hard either, thus overal temp would be a little lower.

The arctic silver is a good move in just about any scenario where you want to decrease temperatures, as is a heatsync mod.

Keep in mind that cards such as WiFi also generate a bit of heat. A lot of mobile phones also generate decent amounts of heat owing to them being a wireless device.

Have you upgraded the RAM at all? Faster RAM will also generate a bit more warmth.
    What power scheme are you using? if the hard drive is constantly working as opposed to spinnign down from time to time you'll be getting higher temps.

Swarvey, Jul 15, 2010
  8. unp0ssible

Xabba-101

Hi, I have a Aspire One 532h. I got a little program called Notebook Hardware Control that reports my CPU temperature as between 37-40 degrees C when doing average stuff, eg Web Surfing, using Open Office and the HDD temp as 37 degrees C.

When I was watching the German Grand Prix at the weekend on the BBC website the reported CPU temp went to 60 degrees C and stayed there, ie didn't go any higher, also fan was working. I had the thing propped up on my son's bricks to get air underneath. Does all this sound normal to you guys. Apologies for thread hijacking but didn't want to start a new thread.

Here is a screenshot but now it says I am at 54 degrees...confused

[​IMG]

Xabba-101, Jul 27, 2010
  9. unp0ssible

Xabba-101

Sorry, here is a more recent screenshot.

Can anyone explain to me all the temperature values as I am way confused. BTW my machine isn't acting weird just curious.

[​IMG]

Xabba-101, Jul 27, 2010
  10. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

so i just installed tiny7 on this netbook and i am so incredibly happy with the temperature now.
    IT NEVER FEELS HOT ANYMORE!

and to make sure i downloaded notebook hardware control since the previous user above me showed screenshots and i never heard of it so i gave it a shot and the temperature rating is 35 degrees! i am so happy! no more incredibly hot netbook from xp!

unp0ssible, Aug 3, 2010
  11. unp0ssible

blackturbokitty

I'm using an aspire one d255 with the intel atom n450 cpu and 1 gb of ram windows 7 starter. I was just wondering if it's okay to use it on my lap, since it got really hot and froze earlier today and it froze again while i was typing this message. I've been using it for a couple days with no problems, the problem started after I started using Skype video chat. The temp is hovering around 53 c according cpufan 4.42 as I type this message. I'm thinking skype is buggy, though it's weird it bringing down the whole system when the it's idle in memory. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

blackturbokitty, Dec 25, 2010
  12. unp0ssible

Forone

I've read that the newest version of Skype is causing problems. No experience with it, but google and read up.

As I said above, all these various different temp software gauges give various different "degree" readings for just about everything - you have to read their Help and watch them to learn what's normal for your machine, and where the alarm bells should go off. Some of these things "read" the normal temperature as lower than a warm day in Miami, and others seem to say alls well in the 60s Centigrade or higher. I wouldn't compare anything except the exact same software on the exact same hardware setup. Much worse than not knowing is pretending to know.

Forone, Dec 26, 2010
Ask a Question