What OS do you have on your Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by adrusa, Feb 15, 2009.

?

What OS do you use on your Aspire One?

1. Linpus Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ubuntu and its variants

15.8%
  3. Other Linux OS

6.6%
  4. Windows XP

11.8%
  5. Windows Vista

44.7%
  6. Windows 7

5.3%
  7. OSX

15.8%
  1. adrusa

adrusa

Which OS do you have on your Aspire One?

adrusa, Feb 15, 2009
  2. adrusa

donec

Really mine came with Linpus and I have tried Onelinux, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint and Mandriva 2009 Gnome. I am running Mandriva at present and have found it the easiest to install, modify and keep up to date. With most of the other distros I have had problems with things not working after the system updates but this is not a problem with Mandriva 2009 Gnome.

donec, Feb 15, 2009
  3. adrusa

myuusmeow

I dual boot Windows XP and 7, but I'm thinking of taking XP off altogether. I haven't booted into it for at least a month.

myuusmeow, Feb 16, 2009
  4. adrusa

adrusa

I triple boot XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu (Intrepid Ibex) with eeepc kernel

adrusa, Feb 16, 2009
  5. adrusa

DkY

...Im running Linpus Lite, but quite much modified. Suites my needs very well and its FAST...
    =)
    Alot of fs dumps are required because you don't know when you screw to much with Linpus... :mrgreen:

DkY, Feb 16, 2009
  6. adrusa

Niteshooter

Windows 7 beta, loads slowly and shut downs take quite a while. But this could be caused by the swap to a 16GB CF card as the 8GB SSD that my AA1 came with was too small for the installation. Once up and running the AA1 works well.

Niteshooter, Feb 16, 2009
  7. adrusa

Shad0wguy

I'm running a vLite'd Windows 7 on my 8GB SSD model. It boots in about 20 sec, but takes 3+ minutes to shut down. It's generally pretty quick.

Shad0wguy, Feb 16, 2009
  8. adrusa

GvidoR

I have tried actually a lot of OS's:
    Linpus Lite, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Eeebuntu... but now I'm only with Windows XP, the fastest and stablest one of them all!

GvidoR, Feb 16, 2009
  9. adrusa

JimmiG

TinyXP SP3. It allows me to run all my familiar Windows applications, is very stable, performs well on the AAO and doesn't use a lot of precious space on the SSD.

I like Vista on my quad-core desktop rig, but trying to make it perform decently on the AAO would be a waste of time. I might check out Win7 once the final version is out, but I highly doubt it will be more streamlined than something like XP Performance Edition or TinyXP. Even if upgrading to 1.5GB of RAM, the limited performance and capacity of the SSD would cause problems. Also the most basic version will have some severe limitations like only being able to run 3 apps at once. WinXP works fine for me, why bother with something else?

As for Linux - when I turn my AAO on I want to *use* it and do stuff with it. I don't want to hunt around for some alternative application to do the same things I do on my Windows machines and I don't want to spend two hours editing configuration files or compiling programs and kernel modules. I *know* how to do it, having used computers since the C64, but I don't want to, especially not on an 8.9" screen.

JimmiG, Feb 18, 2009
  10. adrusa

simbeb

I use Ron's TinyXp that I customized for my needs. It's taken me 4 months to obtain my ideal XP install but it was worth it.

Removed:
    Ron's extra softwares
    aa1 fan control
    Suyin webcam driver (replaced by generic Microsoft)
    Outlook

Added:
    UK keyboard
    A1ctl
    Windows update
    Task scheduler (manual)
    System restore (manual)

plus a few reg tweaks to improve performance, looks and useability

It is not as fast as the original Ron's but it does what I wanted it to do

simbeb, Feb 18, 2009
  11. adrusa

HappyHarry

and how do you think tinyxp was created, someone with the skills edited config files and recompiled programs etc etc, your just too lazy to do it yourself, or you don't actually have the skills ;),

the simple fact is that fedora10 on the aao works straight from install and being a linux distro it has ultimate configurability, and you think that's a bad thing :shock: do you work for M$ or something? cause unless your a leech that steals other peoples work without paying for it you can't really complain about truly FREE software

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 29, 2009
  12. adrusa

nd2no

currently running windows 7,uninstalled xp to much bloat...like vista 64bit on gaming rig but it runs 6 gigs ram, 3.6ghz overclocked proccesor, runing dual boot xp pro/win7 on my dell(internet/email machine)desktop.
    I really like windows 7 hope it realeases soon..i would defenately run it on all my machines! would install it now on game rig but way to much stuff on that one to chance the expiration date of the beta.... ;)

nd2no, Mar 29, 2009
  13. adrusa

Shad0wguy

I've installed Rons tinyXP after playing with Windows 7. So much faster.

Shad0wguy, Mar 30, 2009
  14. adrusa

donec

You do know that you had to learn to work with Windows and you had to pay for the privilege on top of it. With Linux you still need to learn but you don't have to give up your hard earned money.....

donec, Mar 30, 2009
  15. adrusa

djtilko

This opening post made me laugh for sure :D

How can you say that windows xp and its derivatives lets you do everything you want with no configuring? you cant even play the full range of video formats or sound formats on a windblows box without paying bill gates!!

How much did you pay for the office suite on that windows box? not just once but every time a new version comes out just keep paying

How sodding easier do you want things to be than simply typing the line in a terminal apt-get install ???? it doesnt get any easier than that!!

djtilko, Mar 30, 2009
  16. adrusa

jackluo923

There's always the thing called "borrowing" without permission...a.k.a.. pirating.
    You don't have to give up anything besides your internet bandwidth which you're paying for anyways. :lol:

jackluo923, Mar 30, 2009
  17. adrusa

HappyHarry

so youd rather be a criminal stealing other peoples products than use truly free software? people like you make me sick, and i bet youd be the first to start crying if someone stole something of yours!that's just the measure of people like you :(

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 30, 2009
  18. adrusa

LS1Xtreme

I have windows xp and 7...haven't used xp since i installed 7 about 2 1/2 weeks ago...

LS1Xtreme, Mar 31, 2009
  19. adrusa

Tamrac

Let's say he has the Windows XP AAO.... so XP is already included when he got his AAO. Now download and install Open Office 3.0, so now he has a FREE office suite. Download and install VLC Player or Klite Codec pack, now he can play any video format for free. Download and install AVIRA or AVG, for again FREE antivirus. All these and alot lot more for FREE. Almost everything found in linux is also available in windows and it's also for FREE. But in windows you have the option to install a zillion more apps of your choice w/c are not free.

I've used Mandriva 2009 on my AAO for a while, and I liked it. But went back to windows when I got a USB 3G device and unfortunately is not supported in linux.

Tamrac, Mar 31, 2009
  20. adrusa

adjektiivi

right now i have ubuntu 8.10 with sickboy-kuki 2.6.28 kernel

adjektiivi, May 2, 2009
Ask a Question