What Operating System are you using ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Oct 27, 2009.

?

1. Windows XP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows Vista

16.2%
  3. Windows 7

8.1%
  4. Linux

62.2%
  5. Android

13.5%
  1. KiNG

KiNG

KiNG, Oct 27, 2009
  2. KiNG

Bramster

XP was good, but Win7 is great on my 751h with 2GB RAM

Bramster, Oct 27, 2009
  3. KiNG

Dave

Agreed, really finding Win7 a great improvement.

Dave, Oct 27, 2009
  4. KiNG

AdamElphick

Win 7 Ultimate rocks on the 751 with 2gb

AdamElphick, Oct 28, 2009
  5. KiNG

Eosblue

Are you running Win 7 in a partition or did you do a clean install with Win 7 the only program on your Acer hard drive before (re)installing other various programs?

Eosblue, Oct 28, 2009
  6. KiNG

Guest Guest

Yes W7 is very good, only got 1GB ram in my 751 right now running W7 Ultimate and it runs pretty fast. Have a 2GB ram on order though suspect it running even better :D.

Guest, Oct 29, 2009
  7. KiNG

AdamElphick

I replaced the 160GB drive with a Hitachi 320GB one and then Installed W7 as a clean install from my Launch Party pack.... I have been using W7 since the first Beta's and so have great confidence in it's stability now - so no need for Xp any more.

AdamElphick, Oct 29, 2009
  8. KiNG

jstueve

I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 (with backported poulsbo drivers)

Mostly been using this for tweeting and social media, and in that case they're almost identical (using TweekDeck in both settings)

jstueve, Oct 29, 2009
  9. KiNG

demential

i use Vista because this is the os that came installed, and i have license.
    maybe in the far future i will change it ... but for the moment i am searching to find the best way to improve my vista experience:)

demential, Oct 29, 2009
  10. KiNG

Drjones

I've come to the conclusion that there isn't any way.

I've tried just about every tweak possible, running the bare windows classic theme, etc. and it still runs pitifully slow.

Just today, it took me 45 min. just to get my f-ing 751 up & running. It kept crashing & locking up on me and I HAVE HAD IT.

Win7 is getting installed on this thing STAT.

Drjones, Oct 30, 2009
  11. KiNG

Drjones

How is Win7's speed compared to XP?

Drjones, Oct 30, 2009
  12. KiNG

r00n

I didnt measure it, but I can tell you that it is not slower (than with XP) with all the things i tried so far.
    Browsing seems faster and starting programs seems to be a little faster.
    I've watched yesterday some DIVX movies, thats still slow, but okay with VLC mediaplayer.

r00n, Oct 30, 2009
  13. KiNG

AdamElphick

Generally W7 seems a bit snapier than both XP and Vista. However video will only show smoothly if you use WMP or PowerDVD I think as they both use the GMA500 for graphics acceleration. There may be others than can use it too but so far I just use those two.

I have no troubles running full W7 Unltimate Singature Edtion with all the visual effects running, and slideshow on the desktop. Quite amazing for a netbook with the pitiful Z520 at its heart! For anyone who has looked inside, the amazing ability of this little netbook becomes all the more amazing as the motherboard only covers about 1/3rd of the case size - it's absolutely TINY! How t's all packed on to something so small is a miracle of high capacity chip and motherboard design.....

AdamElphick, Oct 30, 2009
  14. KiNG

Drjones

That's great to hear about 7's performance & I've read similar reviews that you can actually run 7 on a netbook with all the visual eye-candy enabled and it still performs.

After it took me about 45 min. to get my 751 booted & running yesterday, I've had it and am going to take an image of my drive just in case, then install 7.

My hard drive thrashes mercilessly for probably 5 min after boot-up, even after disabling just about all start-up items. I've had it with Vista.

Drjones, Oct 30, 2009
  15. KiNG

Twan013

I got my 751h yesterday, let my GF unbox it and play with it for a few minutes (yes, she actually set it up with all my info and stuff), that's when XP was installed. she got tired of it, and gave it to me, and I immediately wiped out the HDD and installed tiny7 (its based off of Ultimate). I can't tell you which is faster, but I know that I love 7. For visual effects, all I had was a generic "Windows 7" wallpaper, and another made by the eXPerience group. I just copied all the background pictures from my GF's laptop (she has a new toshiba with a legitimate copy of W7) and put them on mine. Oh, I also like how you can set the wallpaper to change every so often.

Twan013, Nov 5, 2009
  16. KiNG

papahonk

im still using Vista :>( I was hoping to put ubuntu on this as i really do not like Vista.. but it seems they havent got the bugs worked out with the poulsbo vid chip and i dont know enough to play with it to get it to work.. and i cant afford to upgrade to 7 I dont have the disks for the desktop xp, it was on it when i bought the machine. so it seems im stuck in Vista Hell. :>(

papahonk, Nov 8, 2009
  17. KiNG

TrackSmart

Crashing and locking-up has nothing to do with Vista, in particular. You may have some other issues (corrupt HDD sectors, memory problems, or the dreaded "freezing issue" that many of us have).

I switched from Vista to Windows 7 only because I was able to get the cheap student version ($29.99 with a ".edu" email address). It boots slightly faster, it also comes back from full hibernation quicker. And some user interface elements (pressing the start button or opening the control panel) are quicker. That's where the "perceived speediness" comes into play.

However, actual programs show no change in speed. So don't expect your browser or office applications to run any smoother. Or for your Youtube videos to play smoothly. They won't!

CONCLUSION: If you can get Windows 7 for $29.99 (student edition), it might be worth it. You will be buying interface improvements, for the most part. The mythical "Vista is so much slower than Windows 7" stuff just isn't true. There are hundreds of benchmarks online that show how small the performance differences are. Although, Vista "feels" much slower due to the lag time in the interface (i.e. opening the Start Menu, etc).

TrackSmart, Nov 10, 2009
  18. KiNG

Drjones

I absolutely disagree. My 751 bordered on being unusable with Vista, now with 7 it runs so blazing fast, I don't want to get off the thing.

Programs open a million times faster, web pages render faster, the computer boots in prob. 30 seconds compared to 5+ minutes with Vista.....the list goes on and on and on. Control panel and other UI elements certainly open faster, and that of course means that the OS itself is faster.

It connects to wireless networks almost instantly, whereas Vista took probably 60 seconds or so of "thinking," then asking me what location I wanted to specify, then thinking some more, etc.

It should be a crime to install Vista on a Netbook.

I too have read the benchmarks, which vary wildly and conflict constantly, but my real world experience is that Vista ran slower than you could believe, and 7 is faster than blazes.

Drjones, Nov 10, 2009
  19. KiNG

TrackSmart

Wow DrJones. Your Vista experience was obviously much worse than mine. My system booted in under a minute (once the trial software was removed). And it ran okay, except for two issues:
    ...1) The Vista interface had a slow reaction time (start button, menus, control panel all took 1-3 seconds to react)
    ...2) Return from full hibernation was very slow (2+ minutes if I had lots of applications open)

Windows 7 helped with these two problems, which makes the computer "feel" more responsive. However applications don't open any faster, nor do they run any faster. So, possibly worth $29.99, but we're not talking about a major system overhaul here.

TrackSmart, Nov 10, 2009
  20. KiNG

Predator04

yea windows 7 is way better then wvista. program run alot better and its boots way faster then windows vista. alot smoother and windows 7 is FAR better then windows vista. vista sucks compared

Predator04, Nov 10, 2009
Ask a Question