What is the standard battery life for new laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

I remember when my laptop was new, the battery life was touted to be 9 hours. And since the tech had advised us (users of new laptop in the office) to drain the battery before recharging, we could say that it was true to its 9 hours of battery life. When my sister bought 3 notebooks several years ago, the battery life quickly dropped to just 1 hour in a matter of months of use. When I asked the tech in the office, he said that quality of batteries depend on the brand of the computer.

I am posting this thread because we have plans of buying a laptop for home use.

Corzhens, Mar 2, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Krissttina Isobe

So far I've read that the average battery life for laptops is 5 hours. An article about battery use and life span for laptops.
    * http://smallbusiness.chron.com/long-laptop-battery-supposed-last-72157.html.

Another article about laptop daily use for batteries.
    * http://www.zdnet.com/article/necessary-battery-life-for-laptops-8-hours/.
    When I read articles about laptop battery use depending on what the brand of laptop the usual batter span per day is about 5 hours then you'll have to recharge it. Nice to see you here too!

Krissttina Isobe, Mar 2, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. Corzhens

vinaya

Nine hours of battery life? That's marvelous. which brand and model were you using.When my laptop was new, it gave back up just for 4-5 hours when I was not using video or music. Currently my laptop gives power back for 2 hours after the battery replacement.

vinaya, Mar 2, 2016
  4. Corzhens

SirJoe

Wow 9 hours is a lot, most modern computers last about 5 hours there are some that go up to 7hours but most last less time. There are a lot of people that use their computer as if t was a desktop and never unplug it from the socket only on rare occasions. This practice is not good for your battery.

SirJoe, Mar 3, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Pablo Diaz

It depends on what battery your specific laptop has; some of them have longer battery life while some of them dont last that much before you have to plug them in. It also depends on what you're doing with the laptop, as an idle laptop will last longer than one that has been playing videogames or a movie.

Pablo Diaz, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Corzhens

Jane Francis

I had Acer v5 and I purchased it 2 years ago. The problem is my laptop is frequently shutdown itself especially when I am using my windows player or vlc. Even if I removed my battery and plug in directly to an outlet still it shit down by itself. What should I do. Someone help me please..
    thanks

Jane Francis, Mar 9, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Benoit W

Аftеr thе lарtор hаs gоnе thrоugh а full singlе сhаrgе аnd thе роwеr аdарtеr is unрluggеd, thе аvеrаgе lifе оf а lарtор bаttеry саn bе аnywhеrе bеtwееn оnе аnd siх hоurs. This timе is dереndеnt оn thе bаttеry, its сарасity (mАH), whаt's bеing dоnе оn thе lарtор, аnd hоw оld thе bаttеry is. Оvеr timе, thе lарtор bаttеry's сарасity dесrеаsеs, whiсh mеаns thе bаttеry will nоt lаst аs lоng аs it did whеn yоu first gоt thе lарtор аnd will соntinuе tо dесrеаsе оvеr timе.

А lарtор соmрutеr bаttеry shоuld lаst bеtwееn twо аnd fоur yеаrs, оr аrоund 1,000 full сhаrgеs. Thе tоtаl lifеtimе оf а bаttеry is dереndеnt оn thе tyре оf bаttеry yоur lарtор hаs (NiСаd, NiMH, оr Li-iоn), hоw muсh yоu usе thе bаttеry, hоw it's сhаrgе, аnd hоw wеll yоu tаkе саrе оf thе bаttеry

Benoit W, Mar 14, 2016
  8. Corzhens

vinaya

Perhaps you have heating problem on your laptop. When laptop gets old, heating problem becomes frequent. When your laptop heats too much it shuts down immediately. Since you say this occurs when you are using media player, I am almost certain that it is a heat problem. Laptop heats when you are using media or surfing internet

vinaya, Mar 15, 2016
  9. Corzhens

IcyBC

When I still have my HP laptop, the average hours that my battery can run is 6-7 that is if I don't use any media at all. At years go by, the battery went down to 3-4, and then 2 and then I have to buy a battery replacement for when I have to travel. If I am home, I just plug it in without the battery and use it that way.

IcyBC, Mar 16, 2016
Ask a Question