What is the most durable laptop available for purchase?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by rootle, Jul 22, 2016.

1. rootle

rootle

I don't plan to actually buy this, I just want to know.

rootle, Jul 22, 2016
  2. rootle

Corzhens

Gee, this is a tough question that I guess no one can give a definite answer. It is like asking which brand of car is the most durable. What I can suggest if you are buying a laptop is to check the specs for your particular requirement, that is you only buy what you need for an excess will just cost you money but you don't benefit from it - like buying a 2 TB storage when you only need 500 GB. For the durability, focus on the branded laptops just to be on the safe side.

Corzhens, Jul 22, 2016
  3. rootle

hades_leae

I'm assuming you're talking about hardware durability, if not then you can learn from my comment anyway.

I don't actually believe laptops are getting more durable. I feel like they are getting more fragile, the manufacturing companies are not building them to be resistant to life. The average person does not do things like toss it around, drop it, sit on it. People are pretty safe with their laptops.

I've dropped mine, but from couch distance, it was OK. I don't think you should consider this when making a purchase. All laptops are pretty durable. They aren't going to fall apart, but they are not bricks either.

hades_leae, Jul 25, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. rootle

IBMPC8088

For durability, you'll want to get a laptop line called the Toughbook. Panasonic makes these, and (I think) Toshiba and IBM may have their own counter line to this.

Toughbooks are military-grade systems made available to both civilian markets and their own that are designed to withstand being dropped, kicked, thrown, and a variety of other things and continuing to function fine. They are usually double or tripple enforced with steel, have multiple methods for cooling, and a few other bells and whistles making it possible for them to withstand more abuse. They usually cost a lot more because of that, too. Those are the most durable ones I've seen yet. They're also some of the most pesky to take apart depending on what they're being reinforced for or against...

IBMPC8088, Jul 25, 2016
  5. rootle

rootle

Yeah those Toughbooks are the sort of thing I wanted to know about. They sound really cool, though I'd never get one. How heigh do you think they can be dropped from? And do you know roughly how much they cost?

rootle, Jul 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. rootle

IBMPC8088

Usually, it can be safely dropped from an average of 6 feet onto a hard floor 25 or 35 times with no damage to the unit guaranteed. After that, it varies between which model you get. They do have business-level ones that only guarantee 1 or 2 feet of protection and are significantly less costly, but you can get ones that guarantee protection from up to 10 foot drops up to 90 times or more. There's another grade of this entirely too, but I'm pretty certain it's only available to military and contractors at this point. I'm not sure if it's manufactured by Panasonic or Raytheon, but there's a laptop model with a type of casing that can be run over by a 2 to 4 ton car once (maybe twice, but I wouldn't push it) and still be perfectly fine to turn on and use with no damage.

The starting price for the Panasonic Toughbooks are usually a low of $800 or $900 if used, and the higher end ones that can be dropped from 6 to 10 feet or more and withstand falling, kicks, and other situations are usually upwards of $1,000 to $2,000 or more.

Here's some additional info for you to check out if you're interested in knowing more about the Toughbooks and what type of protection is available for laptops out there: Panasonic Toughbook Website

There are other models from the main page of their site that specialize in protection against vibration, heat, water and spills (waterproof laptops and water-resistant systems), pressure resistance (like getting run over by a car, motorcycle, or other heavy machinery), particle and dust resistance, and a bunch of other things here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088, Jul 28, 2016
  7. rootle

IcyBC

I have to agree with you about laptops are getting more fragile, and so are with smart phones. They don't make things to last anymore, even with the most careful person.

In term of "physical abuse" of a laptop, it won't last a day :)

IcyBC, Jul 28, 2016
  8. rootle

rootle

Being able to be dropped from 6 feet that many times is quite impressive. The thing about being able to be run on by a car is very impressive as well. Yeah this is quite interesting to me. I kinda want one of these just so I can mess around and see how much force they can take. It would be fun just throwing a laptop around.

rootle, Jul 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. rootle

acerme2

I used to have this impression that Toshiba makes the most durable laptops. Now it's fair game and price is not even the yardstick for determining durability. Even so, I'll still go for standard and proven brands in the market, specially those that offer fast, excellent after-sales service. I've dropped my laptop while I was on the couch (I fell asleep while typing) and fortunately, there was no damage at all. So long as my laptop can handle incidents like that, I'm fine with it.

acerme2, Aug 6, 2016
  10. rootle

Elektron

Well, I could really not give you a final answer because there are plenty of good brands in the market nowadays which you can acquire for good prices and they may last you a long time, I personally think it mostly depends on the use you give to it and that kind of things, for example, people could say Samsung is way better than Lenovo but I currently know a guy who had a Lenovo and a Samsung laptop and the Samsung got broken before the Lenovo, so we could not clearly say which brand or which the most durable laptop is because the durability may depend on many factors, mostly of the user.

Elektron, Aug 7, 2016
Ask a Question