What is the Average Life Expectancy of a Notebook?

Discussion in 'Other Laptop Models' started by Novelangel, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Novelangel

Novelangel

I have a Compaq Presario Notebook that I bought way back in 2008. It can be quirky at times but the thing still works. I had to download Chrome to it just so I could use it online because it was running Windows Vista, which is apparently too sluggish for the internet.
    I always loved the look of my Presario and even though it's traveled a lot and been beat up a lot over the years, it's still kicking. So, here's my question... How long do most of you continue to use the same laptop or notebook?

Novelangel, Apr 30, 2016
  2. Novelangel

Vash

My last laptop (was also my first), a Dell Vostro 1500 had lasted me 7 years from 2008 to 2015. It finally stopped working when the screen refuse to turn on. I could still hear the boot up, but nothing was showing on the screen. I guess either the graphics card or the screen itself had finally given out after long period of use. The laptop was used for minimal 5~6 hours a day, and sometimes twice longer throughout the years.

I had upgraded it twice. Once to replace the 2GB RAM with 4GB RAM, and the 160GB HDD to a 128GB SSD. The second time I upgraded the 128GB SSD to a 512GB SSD, but it wasn't long before the laptop "died".

I know the usual saying is "laptop only last for 2~3 years". But I guess it is either some really low budget laptop that can easily break down, or under some careless usage which caused too many software and OS related issues to slow it down to the point of unusable. Anyway, unless the hardware fails, a laptop can be made "new" again from re-install the operation system. In most cases, a fresh re-installation of the OS will fix everything and make a "slow" laptop fast again. Sometimes, upgrade of RAM will also do the trick...I know it has worked for my mom's old laptop.

Vash, May 30, 2016
  3. Novelangel

vinaya

I used a compaq note book for 8 years and it was still working. When I switched to new model, I did not switch just because it was old and had problems, I got a new laptop because I was tired of using the same notebook for many years. If you handle your notebook with care and do not use for the purpose other that you have planned, it will have a long life.

vinaya, Jun 25, 2016
Ask a Question