What happened to LINUX?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tusharprakash, Dec 24, 2010.

1. tusharprakash

tusharprakash

Hey guys...

I just bought myself an Aspire One 11.6" AO751h series. It came with Windows XP pre installed. 1GB RAM and an Intel Atom

A year back, my previous laptop (Old school Compaq) gave me a lot of issues, on a friends advice i shifted to Linux (Ubuntu 8.4), and loved it. Never had any serious problems. It was smooth, fast, virus free and very impressive. I had decided to never turn back to windows.

When i bought my Netbook yesterday, the first thing i do... I get myself an Ubuntu Netbook edition...
    and... i am surprised.
    The response is slow, the video is sluggish... and the suspend mode is a nightmare. AND Vlc keeps crashing. I dont know where i went wrong.
    I try and shift to an Ubuntu desktop 10.10, but the same results. However, this time in the process i uncorectly partitioned my C drive and managed to wipe out XP during the installing process.

I hit the net, do my research and find out that Kuki Linux 2.8 is the thing to have, i try and boot it up using Unetbootin... but this time... the USB stick doesnt show the full installation menu after boot up. It boots from the USB, but only has "Default" option that doesnt work. The same USB stick that installed the two previous Ubuntu versions, so that BIOS is ok, and the stick is ok..

Hoping that I can restore my factory settings and get my XP back, so that i can try a bootable USB stick there... no luck, as i no longer have XP in my comp, and the restore instuctions of ALT+F10 r not giving any results.

So now.
    I am stuck... with a problematic UBUNTU 10.10 with no Windows on my netbook.
    I need help regarding the following

1. The best possible Linux OS for my netbook? - Kuki, Jolicloud, Xbuntu or Crunchbag? i need my netbook to play music, movies, skype online videos and net browsing... it all has to be crisp, nothing fancy.
    2. Should i build the USB bootable stick via XP?
    3. If yes, then how do i restore my factory settings and get XP back?
    4. Do i even need XP? does WINE work for any of the OS's u reccomend?

I need help guys, havnt slept because i kept trying out things.. I dont know where i went wrong.
    I try and shift to an Ubuntu desktop 10.10, but the same results. However, this time in the process i uncorectly partitioned my C drive and managed to wipe out XP during the installing process.

I hit the net, do my research and find out that Kuki Linux 2.8 is the thing to have, i try and boot it up using Unetbootin... but this time... the USB stick doesnt show the full installation menu after boot up. It boots from the USB, but only has "Default" option that doesnt work. The same USB stick that installed the two previous Ubuntu version
    I just need a simple netbook for simple work... no games, graphics, or stuff like that.
    Something for writing, hearing, watching and reading... thats it.

Any help is appericiated.

Regards
    Tushar

tusharprakash, Dec 24, 2010
  2. tusharprakash

hayagix

If you do not need anything too fancy for software, Puppy may work well for you. There is also a nice derivative of Puppy called Fluppy made for netbooks and setup for smaller screens.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156
    http://puppylinux.com/

I'm surprised you are having issues with ubuntu 10.10. I, currently have lubuntu installed on my little 8 inch acer and it works pretty well.

You might want to have a look at Ultimate lite edition and Oz Unity. These guys are doing some nice work. Oz makes the unity desktop work and it has a plethora of software already installed. I've already updated an older compac laptop(low specs) with Oz and it is quite crisp. I had Pinguy 10.04 on it previously and it was struggling. I'm pretty sure Oz will work on the acer netbook. Will try it over the holidays.

http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/ ... 226&t=1974
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/

hayagix, Dec 25, 2010
  3. tusharprakash

tusharprakash

Hey...

Thanks for answering...
    Hope ur xmass holidays r going wel...

Its just that i have constantly changed my OS...
    and am kind of getting sceptical...

I was almost thinking of Jolicloud, until i saw some of the stuff u adviced, especially Oz unity...

really cool stuff, and looks very futuristic.
    I heard the Gnome based OS's r the problem.
    Gnome apparently drains a lot of speed.

I would really like some inpputs on Oz unity..
    let me knw how ur test goes.

and OZ unity vs. Jolicloud?

No point having Jolicloud i guess if u r not a part of thier community

Regards
    Tushar

tusharprakash, Dec 26, 2010
  4. tusharprakash

jango

Lubuntu 10.10 is blazzing fast... it works perfectly on mine AAO 110l

jango, Dec 26, 2010
  5. tusharprakash

Reno

I have tried Crunchbang, Kuki and Jolicloud. I loaded the Jolicloud 1.1 ISO from a USB stick and it has been the easiest and slickest Distro I have used on my AA1 8gig SSD and 512 meg ram. Never drops Wifi, is super easy to add/remove programs and it's very easy to add desktop wallpaper. All without adding kernels or tweaking to get it to work. I've also loaded Jolicloud on a Desktop computer partition and it works very well there too. Jolicloud support seems to be pretty good and their team is working hard providing updates etc. The fact that I can just use my netbook for what it's made for (surfing, e-mailing, listening to music, viewing photos, writing letters etc.) with no trouble, means alot to me.
    Check out this link - http://www.windows7newsinfo.com/smf/ind ... ic=13479.0

Reno, Dec 26, 2010
  6. tusharprakash

Forone

I only use Ubuntu on a pendrive, as alternate access and for fun, since I need Windows software, but have found the 10.04 Desktop LTE runs extremely well off a 4GB USB drive. It should run fine off an HDD. I tried the "netbook" edition and it ran like molasses - I get the impression the Desktop is the core and best tested build and some of the fancy "spin off" versions are less well coded and less well supervised.

Forone, Dec 27, 2010
  7. tusharprakash

tusharprakash

@ reno...

does jolicloud work well for video?

tusharprakash, Dec 28, 2010
  8. tusharprakash

gadgetmind

Another vote here for lubuntu. The only tweaks I needed post install were acerhfd and changing which apps were installed to suit our personal preferences. Other than that, it's ultra-slick and "Just Works"(tm)

This was on a A110L so ymmv on other hardware.

Ian

gadgetmind, Dec 30, 2010
  9. tusharprakash

finnbakk

finnbakk, Jan 12, 2011
  10. tusharprakash

Rotaj

I am currently using LXDE version of PCLinuxOS on my A110. It is fairly fast and it only uses 92mb of ram (when installed).
    There are quite a few lighter spins of PCLOS to choose from also.
    E-17, Fluxbox, IceWM, Openbox, Xfce

DreamLinux 4 is also another one to watch if it ever gets beyond the current beta.

Rotaj, Jan 14, 2011
  11. tusharprakash

caulktel

I had been using Ultimate Ed Lite and noticed that it is built on top of Lubutu, so when i installed a new hard drive I just installed Lubuntu instead. Great distribution, it works perfect on my D150 including the SD card slot which despite what I read about it not working unless you had a card inserted before you booted the system works perfect, in fact you can hot swap it any time and it will work, All in all Lubuntu works better than anyone I've used yet.

caulktel, Jan 15, 2011
  12. tusharprakash

jinx022

jinx022, Jan 19, 2011
  13. tusharprakash

markforrest

I've got a AO751 and the problem isn't Linux but Intel, there are no proper Linux drivers for the Intel GMA 500 chipset (Poulsbo) used in this and a few other netbooks. There is a project to develop working Ubuntu drivers below which work great on my 751, the latest updates from a couple of weeks ago have sorted my last video playback issues. I'm currently using Xubuntu 10.10 with Xfce updated to the recent 4.8 version, but would prefer Mint Xfce if there was a 10.10 release.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... dsPoulsbo/

I haven't bothered fixing suspend yet but think I'll have a go today.

There is a very large forum thread here:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 5&page=337

Also there is apparently a fix for Debian based systems that I haven't tried yet but will be doing as I want to try the latest XFCE version of Crunchbang.

Mark

markforrest, Mar 3, 2011
  14. tusharprakash

princethrash

VLC has always been bad for me on linux, across several distros and three computers. It's always worked fine with Windows, but it's instability actually made me switch to mplayer with linux. I like the lightness and command-line power of mplayer, but it's interface can sometimes be surprising, weird, glitchy.

My girlfriend brought home a new netbook, installed Ubuntu, and had issues, while my older netbook is fine with it. There is indeed some issues with drivers. Sometimes its better NOT to have a brand new computer model if you jump between OSes, I'm thankful to have an old A0A-150

princethrash, Jun 13, 2011
  15. tusharprakash

burdicda

I installed every one of the light versions to include kuki, jolicloud, lxde, etc...etc...
    but I missed debian with kde 3.5, so I installed the debian 5.0.9 which comes with kde 3.5.10
    and after a little reading upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32...bpo which is a lenny kernel with the latest build and version
    everything works ... wifi...eth0 ... webcam...both sd sockets....I doubled the ram to 1G
    I love it....
    It plays anything and everything that I can find....multimedia

burdicda

burdicda, Dec 29, 2011
  16. tusharprakash

PCNetSpec

I'd recommend PeppermintOS (Two)

PCNetSpec, Dec 31, 2011
Ask a Question