What formats work on the Media Player?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Blitzspirit, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Blitzspirit

Blitzspirit

Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't find anything in the manual about the media player and what formats it uses. I have an Aspire One AOA 150 ab with Linux software. I tried loading a couple of files from my mac, but they didn't work.
    Thanks

Blitzspirit, Mar 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Blitzspirit

barrie

Hi Blitzspirit,

I am not to hot on MP but found it very limited in its capability's, depending on what you want I would go for VLC, I use this for almost everything Audio and video. :D
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If you decide to go for VLC download the version for Fedora.

barrie, Mar 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Blitzspirit

Blitzspirit

Is Linux always this difficult or does it get easier ?

After an epic struggle I have downloaded VLC and I have an icon on my desktop. Unfortunately it still doesn't play anything. Any suggestions?

Blitzspirit, Mar 10, 2009
  4. Blitzspirit

Grim Squeaker

Did you use this trick ?
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html

And *linux* an sich is not hard. Most distros are in fact very easy to use - easier than windows even once you get the hang of them. The crippled piece of crap Acer included on the One however, which in addition is based on an old distro (Fedora 8) that has officially reached end of life, is NOT easy, nor will it get easier when you get used to it. On the contrary even: since there is no main support anymore, it will get harder and harder to stay up to date. You can compare it to letting a windows 98 or even 95 system be compatible with all the fancy new stuff that comes out. Now matter how experienced you are, the amount of tweaking required will only increase.

Fortunately competitors are very busy making alternatives.

Grim Squeaker, Mar 14, 2009
  5. Blitzspirit

Blitzspirit

Sorry to be like a dog with a bone, but coming back to my original question; what formats can you actually play on the media player?

Seems pointless to me to provide a tool that doesn't do anything.

PS Still not got VLC going yet, but thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

Blitzspirit, Mar 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question