What do you use your AA1 primarly for?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Surfing, email, office productivity?

Myself, i want it for surfing, forums, email, a little office stuff.

I just wanted to see what most of us do with our AA1?

I still haven't gotten one yet, hopefully tomorrow i will pick one up at bestbuy, i just came back from my local bestbuy and they didn't have a unit of display for me to check out, hopefully they will by tomorrow morning, i still haven't seen the AA1 up close & personal before i decide to get one.

I really like how small it looks, but im not sure if it might be to small for me. just have to wait and see i guess.

Guest, Aug 23, 2008
  2. Guest

jzx

I bought mine for taking to college on a daily basis, so I won't have to use the crappy machines they call computers :) It's handy around to house to, "What that band called?" just check wikipedia!

jzx, Aug 23, 2008
  3. Guest

marty123

I`ve decided to take mine to work, and leave my current laptop at home, its small and fast enough for daily work :)
    Only thing I need now, is 6-cell battery.

Martin

marty123, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Guest

bgeery

My One is now my primary computer. My 6 month old 17 inch notebook will now be my secondary unit, for the few things that I can't do on the One. I'm going to retire the desktop.

bgeery, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Guest

goofball

watching movies or other things
    doing some lighter photoshop work
    offloading pictures from camera when I'm out and about
    general office-suite work
    web surfing

goofball, Aug 29, 2008
  6. Guest

micha

I want to use mine as a (literal) notebook. I'm a writer and I'd love to just bring it with me everywhere and kill some time writing stuff (especially when visiting the inlaws :D). Also I'm an internet junkie so if I can be online away from home that'll be a plus.

Don't have one yet though... I want to have a feel before I buy to make sure the keyboard really is that great.

micha, Aug 29, 2008
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

If your hands are not that big, you will have no problem with the keyboard. Myself my hands are a little big and the keyboard works really nicely for me.

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Guest

micha

I can go from shift to shift on a regular keyboard.. I'm 90% sure I'll get one anyway, but still, it'd be nice to see it first ;) I'll adapt anyway just practise ;)

micha, Aug 29, 2008
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah when i bought mine from Bestbuy this past Sunday, they didnt have a display model to check it out. But i bought it anyways and luckliy it's perfect for me. The only complaint is the left/right touchpad buttons. Im still getting used to them on the left/right of the touchpad instead of below the touchpad.

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  10. Guest

micha

I'm assuming that linux has most shortcut-keys windows has, so I'm not expecting to use the mousepad too much. Wouldn't tapping it make it easier? Or is that too annoying?

micha, Aug 29, 2008
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

For me tapping the touchpad on the AA1 is to sensitive, so i disabled it. Im not sure since i don't use linux, so im not sure how many short-cut keys linux has compared to windows XP.

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  12. Guest

rjm

If you have the touchpad disabled how are you using the buttons?

Anyhow, the funny thing is once you get used to the touchpad the buttons become redundant. L and R click, double click, and click-drag can be done by just tapping the touchpad. Its more convenient that the buttons.

The touchpad sensitivity can be adjusted, even in Linux. just find the icon in the settings menu.

rjm, Aug 29, 2008
  13. Guest

gurglemoo

I've found my machine quite handy for smashing little invertibrate creatures that happen to cross paths with me. I like the fact that the SSD has not moving parts and thus is able to withstand the sudden shocks of smashing bugs into walls and also the light weight makes it much easier swing around.

I've been considering getting a 3G USB dongle and then installing a webcam server on the machine so that when I tie it to my weather balloon then I can watch it going up on my regular pc's web browser. The only problem with this is I don't feel like having to go searching swamps for my little AA1 after it crash lands.

I also find the small shape of the case quite good for skimboarding on the beach. It's a pity it doesn't open completely so that it lies flat since this probably puts a lot of undue stress on the hinges.
    I also find that the size of the machine is too small to sit on and slide down with on a hill unfortunately - it does also seems to cause the machine to get a bit scratched but rubbing a brick of margerine on the underside seems to help a bit with reducing the friction.

I also use my machine to hold down the pages of my recipe book when I'm cooking (otherwise if the window is open then the pages will flutter about and I will lose track of what step I was on) I find this *particularly* handy of the Acer Aspire One. :geek:

gurglemoo, Aug 29, 2008
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info, i just noticed they have a tap zone size setting, so i have to mess around with this setting and see how i like it.

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  15. Guest

blackjack

I'm hoping mine will come in handy on the handful of business trips I do a year. A couple of them are conferences I attend where I might try to write articles based on 2-3 speeches or seminars. Normally all I do at night is watch cable TV until my brain rotes. :lol: Now, I might actually be able to write up some notes in my hotel room, and check some e-mail at the ones that offer free Wi-Fi.

I also go on maybe 2-3 site visits a year for magazine articles. So there again I hope maybe I can use some of my evening time more productively. Of course I can do some of that stuff at hotel biz centers, but I guess I'd rather take care of those things in my hotel room if possible.

At home I'm mostly using it for, um, nonproductive purposes. It helps a bit when watching a big DVD box set of a TV show to be able to visit the show's Web site and read some episode summaries, for example.

And I've taken it over to my mom's house to show off photos. It's a little more fun to watch on the AA1's screen than on a 2.7-3" camera LCD monitor. :D

Although I'm glad I've been able to use it on Panera's Wi-Fi easily, I'm not sure if I'm ready to join the slack-jawed Web surfers I'm surrounded by when I go there. I still like to read an old fashioned newspaper and get my fingers inky. :p

blackjack, Aug 29, 2008
  16. Guest

atarione

I got mine primarily to have a super easy to carry about mobile to check / admin servers back at the office. and of course to look up hilarious pictures of cats on the internets. :D

it is great I can easily check what i need to check and use a keyboard big enough to actually type on. I'm also looking forward to having a super light / mobile lappy for airplane trips (however come on cheap~ish ebay 6cell AAO batteries :D on that one).

atarione, Aug 30, 2008
  17. Guest

jwr

I did a bit of research before purchasing this One. I looked at iPod Touch, but wanted somethng with many more features. My primary purpose of purchasing the One is for a portable PDA that will hold my calendar, email and notes and can go on the internet. Many PDA are very nice looking and work well, but hard to see. This One is perfect.

Also -- I go on frequent trips and will use it with maps and a gps. In addition, I plan on using it as a music player to play tunes while at work.

Blessings

jwr

jwr, Aug 30, 2008
  18. Guest

PuntoPilot

I bought mine for taking notes at managers meetings as well as entertaining myself when I travel about - be it internet, games, music or films.

I set myself a list of things I wanted to do before I bought it (150 Linux Version):

Network to my home PC (to get files etc.)
    Access my work e-mail which is done through Outlook Web Access
    View DIVX Files
    Connect to the web using my mobile phone

From pulling it out of the box, the unit was so restricted and basic, I honestly thought I'd seriously wasted my money. Now, after cracking everything (the networking, the DIVX, downloading Opera which is Outlook friendly) I've got a dream machine which I love!

The little bad boy even streams films from my main PC upstairs without any lag or distortion.

Best thing I could've bought for the purpose. Many people knock the Linux version for being too complicated and restricted but the joy of getting it to work the way you want to is far more satisfying than using Vista or XP! It's now a companion as well as a damn good purchase!

Lovin it!

(Although I haven't yet cracked the mobile phone bit - almost there!) :)

PuntoPilot, Sep 2, 2008
  19. Guest

N6546R

Travel. I'm a lecturer at Boston University, and I teach graduate courses in computer science and project management at our extension programs in North Carolina and DC. I make 20 to 30 trips a year and was lugging around a Thinkpad. The AA1 is going to add years to my life, if not muscle tone.

In the classroom I use it for presentations and demonstrations. It's great when teaching about TCP/IP to be able to pull up a network analyzer (wireshark) and the source code for the stack to explain what's going down the wire. Same idea when I'm doing an operating systems course.

Perry

N6546R, Sep 2, 2008
  20. Guest

AspirantOne

My primary use for the One will be general surfing and e-mail. I'm also a member of an amateur radio emergency communications group, so having a little laptop like this will come in handy for accessing the net if internet connectivity is available in an emergency. I also plan to get a terminal node controller next year and this will let me use the laptop as an APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) and packet radio interface.

I'm also looking forward to taking the One to work with me tomorrow. Across the street from my workplace is a food court with a free WiFi hotspot. So this means I can get some surfing in during breaks and lunch hour. I guess this also means I'll have to get myself a bigger USB thumb drive so I can put my music collection on it and plug it in while surfing. :D
    And maybe even get a small pair of high-quality speakers so I can listen at my desk. Now if we just had public WiFi available at the office, I could listen to CBC Radio too...

AspirantOne, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question