What do you use for email?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tdavis80, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tdavis80

tdavis80

I picked up an Acer1 on Friday. Got home late that night and tried to IMAP email to an exchange server. Could not get it to connect. I could telnet to the exchange server's IMAP port but IMAP would not get past the username/password. The installed Linux is really the bare minimum.

I made a ubuntu boot/install USB stick and installed the latest 8.4.1 on the ssd. I like this much better. I did the speed-ups and find the machine is not bad. The installed size is about 2.5 gigs which leaves lots for future growth.

Problem: The screens for evolution are too tall to allow me to enter information. They are off the bottom of the screen. Instead I used Thunderbird mail and it seems to work aok.

Are you guys using something other than the Aspire One Mail?

I tried to install Fedora KDE but it has a kernel fault and never seems to get going. The new KDE has a sexy desktop/launchpad so I was considering giving it a try.

Has anyone managed to load a O/S onto a 8gig class6 SD card? If so, which slot... left or right?

I tried a few applications. I was surprised at the number of apps that require taller than 600 to work properly. Part of the process of making Linux ready for these small machines will be reformatting the applications for small (but wide) screen sizes.

tdavis80, Jul 27, 2008
  2. tdavis80

osdude

I installed Kubuntu on my Aspire One A0A110 and it's running very well with the ext2 partitions. And I am using Thunderbird as the email client.

I've also had some issue with the screen not being tall enough for some of the dialogue settings in certain programs. I've found, if I maximize the dialogue boxes, I can access the "Apply" on most settings. ANd for those I can not access in GUI, I just edited the setting in Kate

osdude, Jul 27, 2008
  3. tdavis80

zaphod

I am using Thunderbird. I quickly gave up on Aspire One Mail as it didn't seem to handle all my IMAP folders as I would have liked.

zaphod, Jul 27, 2008
  4. tdavis80

tdavis80

hey osdude,

Thanks for the reply with a webpage.
    A quick read through shows that you used a different manner than me to get the files onto an USB key.

Seems like others are also using tbird, mainly for the same reasons I quoted.

I used this program to make a bootable USB key: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    I seems to work with any .iso image and is very easy to get going. I will make a few USB keys to try different versions of Linux.
    I highly recommend that program to create a bootable key.

ubuntu 8.4.1 seems solid. I like the looks of KDE 4.x I believe kbuntu is only kde 3 (but I have no idea, I could be wrong).

If someone has made a bootable SSD image, I would like to know about it. Is a class6 SD card the same speed as the SSD, better, worse?
    It would be wonderful if I could have a pocket full of SD cards, each with a different O/S installed.

tdavis80, Jul 27, 2008
Ask a Question