What do you think is the best laptop cooler?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Pablo Diaz, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Pablo Diaz

Pablo Diaz

What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking about buying a powerful laptop in the near future and I've had problems with overheating with older laptops, so I was researching about laptop coolers (The ones you put under the laptop, that have fans) and was wondering which ones you guys recommend. :)

Pablo Diaz, Feb 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Pablo Diaz

IBMPC8088

Liquid nitrogen is always the best cooling system. Next best is a very well air-conditioned room where the temperature stays between 55 to 65 degrees or less. Then there's the box fan right up against the side of a laptop which will work to keep it cool even if the system fan stops working if you position it right. The box fan method works if the laptop is stationary more than not. There has to be enough air flow for it to keep the sensor on the motherboard at the right temperature or less so it doesn't shut the system off if still enabled for that on the BIOS which usually is by default, but if you usually use the laptop as a desktop, even if it's prone to overheat and you don't have time to clean out or replace a system fan that stopped working due to dust or old age then you can get by like that for a while. Just don't use any big graphics applications that stress the GPU, or the heat will build up faster than the box fan can cool the system and still shut down as a result.

You can still use the GPU a little more than normal though if you combine the air-conditioning with the box fan approach, because you'll be giving the laptop a cooler surface temperature and the air from the box fan that the laptop gets through the side vent will be colder than usual.

I used to use the CoolerMax little usb fan coolers for the bottom of laptops years and years ago, but they didn't seem to make much difference at all. The box fan and other ways worked much better.

IBMPC8088, Feb 20, 2016
Ask a Question