What do they mean with ''no more support for windows XP''?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi guys! I'm just an average user and I am kinda clueless, lol. I was wondering what they really mean when they say Windows will no longer support Windows XP. I mean, what does that entitle exactly? Can someone explain? What will happen to the users who have windows XP still installed in their computers? Will they have to upgrade to Windows 7 or something like that?

I ask all this out of curiosity mostly :) I'm running windows 8.1 right now (not by choice) but I used Windows XP for a long time when I was younger and I'm a bit sad to read they are no longer going to support it.

Sefie, Mar 4, 2014
  2. Sefie

something back

In essence MICROSOFT will no longer support it, no security updates. except for the Chinese market,where it's still the most used operating system.
    They want you to change operating systems. TO NEWER VERSIONS

something back, Mar 4, 2014
    Sefie likes this.
  3. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

And shell out your hard earned cash and put it in their packets...
    Operating Systems... what a rip-off, we can only rent them out until the provider wiggles up a new all-singing, all-dancing new version (which 2 x out of - 4 is WORSE than the old one).

I've been looking into Linux for the last five years and actually use it 90% of the time now... currently writing this in Linux Lite - which is less than 700Mb in ISO form - IS FREE to use and has, so far, everything that Microsoft charges about 100 quid (pounds to you colonials).

It starts in 35 seconds and closed down in around 10 seconds - great when you are late for class or the Lecturer over runs and you need to close down fast so as not to be late for the next lesson.

sorry, rambling again.. but would definitely recommend Linux Lite for new users; it 'looks' a lot like Windows... which makes changing over, easier.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 4, 2014
    Sefie likes this.
  4. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks for he input, Brian! I might actually be switching to Linux Lite in the future if things with Microsoft keep on getting uglier! I also thought they were doing this to get the money from the poor users that have been using this OS for a while, what a shameless act! Isn't Microsoft making enough cash already? A very low move, Bill Gates! I guess he is trying to attract more users to Windows 8?

Either way, this was a very shameless move of them! I hope they don't do the same with my loved Windows 7!

Sefie, Mar 5, 2014
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Wow, really? I had no idea windows XP was still being widely used in China, so they will keep recieving support for that OS??? How come? I'm sure a lot people out there are still using Windows XP. This sounds really unfair for the loyal users :( I'd not blame them for switching to an OS like Linux!

Sefie, Mar 5, 2014
  6. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Hi, Selfie - don't blame Bill Gates... it is CORPORATE thinking (maybe inspired by bill)... but they expect every iteration of their OS to be dead in the water in 4 years... Yes, 4 Years

It was BIG Business, not wanting to have to upgrade their hundreds of Computers who got the extension on Windows XP - and now the Chinese are threatening the same... extend the life of OUR computers using Win XP or we will go over to LINUX and you'll never get another penny from us...

I've used Windows since version 1.2... 10 years before Win 95 came out! - But I drew a line in the sand when we got to Windows XP and have been looking how to escape the Corporate rat race since then (and now found it)

Linux SEEMS different and difficult... but it is like learning say, German, difficult to start with but with practice and a heavy duty notepad or exercise book, to write down your working solutions, it soon becomes 'just like Windows !"

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 5, 2014
  7. Sefie

mikelouis

It means they will no longer create more service packs that will be addressing the new security and compatibility issues associated with Windows XP. If it were me, I will upgrade my system. You can never know what hackers have in store for you once the support ends.

mikelouis, Mar 6, 2014
  8. Sefie

gadgetised

Exactly. But I think everyone should be upgrading anyway. It is not practical to expect Microsoft to support their older products forever. Windows 7 is just as good, if not better than XP.

gadgetised, Mar 8, 2014
  9. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

It is not practical to expect Microsoft to support their older products forever...

No- Company would expect that... Not even the various Linux Distributors...

Debian/Ubuntu Linux also has a 4 year cycle, LTS version;
    with the equivalent of Service Packs every six months;

But THEY don't cost you anything... except some download time...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 8, 2014
  10. Sefie

something back

With all the viruses proliferating about the net I always thought that industry including,banks,and governments should be paying
    people like Microsoft to help slow down this threat. This in the long term would help people like banks to reduce fraud, also help the rest remain safe

something back, Mar 8, 2014
  11. Sefie

gadgetised

They should help, and they have. Microsoft has been releasing security updates for XP since it came out. But now XP is too old to continue updates. The actual OS could be vulnerable to threats anyway, due to its age. I recommend just upgrading to a newer OS, or switching to Mac.

gadgetised, Mar 9, 2014
  12. Sefie

Oogles

As painful as it is to admit, it's already time to put Windows XP to sleep. That message means that Microsoft will no longer give updates to Windows XP. If you would like to upgrade I would suggest Windows 7 as I found Windows 8 a bit hard to use. It might be counterproductive to get Windows 7 though, cause in a few years they might also discontinue services for it.

Oogles, May 15, 2014
  13. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Oogles said... It might be counterproductive to get Windows 7 though, cause in a few years they might also discontinue services for it.

I said earlier...
    it is CORPORATE thinking (maybe inspired by bill)... but they expect every iteration of their OS to be dead in the water in 4 years... Yes, 4 Years

Windows 9
    is in the pipe line and MS has pulled Windows 7 install media from its own Website and has been closing down all the alternate 'Legal' Win 7 ISO sites...

Time to LOOK AT FREE alternates (FREE, as in - without parting with around £100... ) such as Linux...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, May 16, 2014
  14. Sefie

Maledictum

Basically it means that you won't be getting anymore patches or assistance with it anymore, OP.

Maledictum, May 28, 2014
  15. Sefie

Gazaloze

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Gazaloze, Nov 10, 2014
  16. Sefie

Nestone50

Windows 7 will get updates/patches through 2020

Nestone50, Nov 10, 2014
Ask a Question