What do I need to game on an AA1?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Marche, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Marche

Marche

Wasn't quite sure where to put this so I thought it would be best to put it here.

Im getting an Acer Aspire One (160gb, 1gb RAM, XP) in a couple of weeks and i thought it would be nice to be able to play a few older games on it. What software or hacks would I need to do in order for them to run as efficiently (and smoothly) as possible?

Also, Are there any other tweaks I could make when I get it to make it generally better?

Thanks.

Marche, Dec 6, 2008
  2. Marche

lohtse

A lot of old and new games will run without much problems on the netbook some will just need a few tweaks to the games graphics setting. go here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2201 and here http://www.lackofjudgement.com/ngwiki/i ... gory:Games for a good games list people have tried etc. and here also viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7734

also you will need a1ctl and 3Danaylzer too to help with some games.. a1ctl is a fan controler but has the ability to allow full 1024x768 res which my be useful for some games... 3Danaylzer as a virtual graphics adapter which can get some games to run be fooling them into thinking that you have a better graphics card than you actaully have... any questions just ask I may be able to help. :D :D

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 6, 2008
  3. Marche

Marche

Thanks Lohtse :D

Iv heard some things about TinyXp aswell. Could this help with running games smoother ect? Iv done a little bit of research on it most of it far too light on acctual information or far too technical for me to comprehend.

What are the good/bad points of using TinyXp and would it be recommenable to get it?

Also does anybody else have any pointers for making the laptop generally better?

Sorry for all of these questions by the way. First laptop I have bought in a -long- time and I want to get the best out of it :roll:

Marche, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Marche

lohtse

No probs about the questions..

As to Tiny XP.. As far as I'm concerned there's no bad points. It's a fully functioning copy of xp with all the rubbish taken out so runs leaner and faster. A huge plus on any machine wether it be a netbook or a pc... As to further info on tinyxp not sure what can tell you really other than what I have said. There are other copies of XP out there , even one for gamers with even more taken out (I even have a copy) but have used and much prefer tinyxp as is the best balance between a very cut down version and fully version of xp. I Would certainly recommend using it... And don't believe you'd go very wrong in doing so.... Hope that helps..

Now to making the netbook better get more ram and use eboostr with a sd card.... Eboostr is ready boost for xp just read up on the net about it... It is a huge plus for you netbook and most on the forums using xp are using it..

regards
    Anrew

lohtse, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Marche

GvidoR

By the way, A1CTL doesn't give you an option to downscale the resolution to 1024x768. :!:

EDIT: ...on Vista.

GvidoR, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Marche

Marche

Alright Thanks for your help guys :)

Now all I need is my AA1 and ill be set to go. Cant wait XD

Marche, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question