What did you do with your last laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Jun 15, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

My last laptop was Compaq 510. After I got a new computer, I transferred my files to the new computer and then sold it to a friend. What about you? What did you do with your last computer?

vinaya, Jun 15, 2016
  2. vinaya

UpgradeMe

I still have my last laptop. I use it for work stuff, but for the most part, that's about it. It's still good for browsing and it's hanging in there but it's definitely been aged :)

UpgradeMe, Jun 15, 2016
  3. vinaya

sparkster

I've actually kept my last laptop for a few reasons. Primarily, because I've used it for internet banking, Paypal and for working online - most of my online accounts are related to work. I certainly wouldn't want anyone getting their hands on the hard drive because they then have the possibility of recovering my account passwords, bank details, etc. I know that this has happened even when hard drives have been disposed of properly but it's certainly something I'm not willing to risk. I suppose I could sell the parts like the CD drive, RAM, etc but they're probably a bit out of date and not worth that much money by now anyway.

sparkster, Jun 15, 2016
  4. vinaya

Sefie

I still have it sitting on my desk, rarely use it for other thing but listening to my fav songs. Can't do more the poor thing, I haven't thrown it away because I have no idea what to do with it.

Sefie, Jun 15, 2016
  5. vinaya

IcyBC

I recycled my oldest laptop and desktop to Staple when I moved to a smaller house. There isn't any spare space in the new house to have junks laying around. I took out the hard drive though since I don't believe it was wiped completely clean, and personal information was my main concern.

IcyBC, Jun 15, 2016
  6. vinaya

fcuco

I still have all of them except a Toshiba one that basically fell apart (nothing worked) so I believe that I threw that away, can't remember now, that was eons ago.

With my oldest laptop, a DELL Inspiron 8600 I installed ubuntu on it and the thing is still going strong, partly because I was able to do a RAM upgrade, I think from 512 MB to 1GB if I remember correctly. I barely use it anymore, except from when I need an additional computer to run some tests or something. Oh, and the battery died long ago, plus it is too bulky to be really portable so I only used it at home.

fcuco, Jun 15, 2016
  7. vinaya

Corzhens

We had 3 desktops in all. The first one, I remember that we had discarded it to the garbage truck. The second one was bought by a neighbor for peanuts. The 3rd one is what we are using now with an XP. For the old laptops, we had 3 from what I remember. The first one is still in the storage because it was given by my father-in-law to my husband - a second hand laptop bought in the US. The second and 3rd old laptops were given away to those who had asked for it.

Corzhens, Jun 16, 2016
  8. vinaya

obliviousme

Before i got my own laptop, i tend to use my friend's laptop alot, so i don't really have an old laptop, I'm still using my first laptop. I have this for almost 2 years now and it's still working perfectly.

obliviousme, Jun 16, 2016
  9. vinaya

bngo16

I placed an ad on Craigslist for my last 2 laptops in the "free" section and mentioned they were for parts or for fixing. They were gone within hours of that post. If they had been usable, I would have used them as a retro gaming rig.

bngo16, Jun 16, 2016
  10. vinaya

Vash

My last laptop was a Dell Vostro 1500. It worked well for 7 full years until its screen no longer turn on. I can still hear the boot up after hit the power button, but it is either the graphics card or the screen had finally given out. So basically the only thing I removed from it was the 512GB SSD I just put in there a few months before it was dead, and I started to use it as an external hard drive with the help of a 2.5" hard drive enclosure.

As for the rest of the Vostro 1500, it is still sitting on the top of my desk at this moment. I do not plan to use it again since I got my Surface Pro 4. Yeah, come to think about it, I need to "take care of" it. It can't just sit here forever.

Vash, Jun 20, 2016
  11. vinaya

cluckeyo

I just upgraded all my equipment.My laptop was on it's last legs. It didn't go out immediately though so I painstakingly moved everything of importance to Google Drive. Now everything I need is up there and with my new equipment I just access my files from there. I have hardly installed anything on my new laptops. Only 3 programs that I use for web design and a simple anti-virus. Every thing I need is in Google Drive. Even my photos.

cluckeyo, Aug 7, 2016
  12. vinaya

acerme2

The very first laptop that I used is a family-owned laptop. It a hardy one but it now has a black spot on the screen with about an inch diameter. We still use it though and it even has a bigger screen than the one I'm using. We tend to use our gadgets until they die on us instead of selling them and using the proceeds to purchase another.

acerme2, Sep 8, 2016
  13. vinaya

clair02

I gave my last laptop to my five year old daughter. She was so excited! I'm actually quite shocked at how fast she taught herself how to navigate it and get to where she wanted to go. It's totally amazing how fast kids adapt to technology.

clair02, Sep 10, 2016
  14. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

My old laptop? The battery died. Then I just put it away somewhere. Now, I cannot even remember where I put it. Probably I have left it behind when I moved house. I am sure i did not throw it in the trash can. I had always thought of getting a new battery for it but one thing led to another and now I have a new laptop.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 10, 2016
  15. vinaya

Fuzyon

I still have it laying around somewhere, I reckon it will still work for basic browsing usage and I've been thinking of replacing some of the parts to use it for my Home Cinema system. It has a 1TB drive in it so I'll just shove some movies and shows in there and voila, cinema at home. :D I will pass it off when it's officially going to die of course.

Fuzyon, Sep 10, 2016
  16. vinaya

Elektron

I've only had one laptop before the one I currently have and I just used it as a spare laptop for the actual one. I took several parts such as RAM memories and some other stuff from it, just as spare parts. I don't really like selling the stuff I don't use anymore since I could use them in the future.

Elektron, Sep 10, 2016
  17. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Are you sure the RAM from your old laptop is usable on your new laptop? Very often, the newer models use RAM of a different speed and size from that used on older models. Perhaps you should double check the specs on both your laptops to make sure.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 11, 2016
  18. vinaya

abonnen

I usually keep my laptops till they stop working, then my husband takes them apart and salvage whatever he wants to keep from it. We have had a lot of laptops ( I am kind of hard on them) so I try to use them till they literally are falling apart.

abonnen, Sep 11, 2016
  19. vinaya

Elektron

Yes because my "new laptop" is not that new and therefore, some pieces are compatible, both use DDR3 memories so it's cool with me, I also had the same doubt when I tried to swap RAMs the first time, but I just noticed of the specs which were quite similar.

Elektron, Sep 11, 2016
  20. vinaya

Humphrey247

I kept mine, it's just sitting at the bottom of my drawer. That's because it's really ancient and I don't think anyone is going to want to buy it. I'm really getting into the DIY culture at the moment so I'm going to strip it for parts once I get a project that needs them. I'll probably use the screen to create a sort of display in the kitchen.

Humphrey247, Sep 13, 2016
Ask a Question