What CPU type is an Atom as far as XP is concerned?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Triophile, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Triophile

Triophile

I've had a search through the forums already, but perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms...

I've got an nLited installation of XP which I used on an old Compaq N800c P4 1.7GHz laptop. Out of curiosity, I tried that disk in an external CD/DVD-ROM drive into my AAO, and it started the installation process, but came up with a screen where it asked about CPU type, and gave me two options - 'C-stepping i486' and 'Other'. I seem to remember that the Atom has hyper-threading, so does this mean that, when I nLite my new XP disk for the AAO, I need to include multi-processor support for XP to work properly with the Atom (as I think I deleted multi-processor support from my nLited installation on the P4)?

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile, Nov 8, 2008
  2. Triophile

goofball

not for it to "work properly" but for it to use hyperthreading. Otherwise, it will appear as a single core cpu to the OS whereas with HT, it would appear as a dual core (or dual CPU, however you want to term it).

You can select ACPI uniprocessor, that would be fine as well.

goofball, Nov 8, 2008
  3. Triophile

Triophile

Thanks for the info. Time to get nLite working again ;_) Much as I'm impressed by Linpus in terms of its usability out of the box, I'm a Windows user at heart.

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile, Nov 8, 2008
  4. Triophile

dattaway

Core2/Newer Xeon

dattaway, Nov 9, 2008
  5. Triophile

Kei

I love my pentium 4's :cry: no atom could ever take there place....

Kei, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question