What basic software should one install on an AAO?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Florio, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Florio

Florio

I am in the process of removing Linux from my young son's AAO and replacing it with XP (nlite version). I was just wondering what software I should install, taking into account the available memory, disc space etc. What do other AAO users have installed on their netbooks? I was considering Office 2007 since I have the original disc here (perhaps not all programs of the suite, but just Word, Powerpoint and Outlook). What about a good but 'light' antivirus program? Is there anything else that a primary-school-age boy might need?
    Thanks to all those who take the time to reply.

Florio, Aug 21, 2010
  2. Florio

Grim Squeaker

Get rid of windows and install Ubuntu :p

Not really kidding either - if you have 1 GB RAM Ubuntu Netbook Edition runs nicely, and the interface is easier for kids than windows is.
    With 512 mb Xubuntu is an alternative - it looks like windows XP, but still gets updates - something XP will soon stop to provide.

But, if you insist on windows:

1. Microsofts own virusscanner is lightweight and not too bad. It requires your windows to be genuine and activated though - in case that is an issue.
    AVG is an alternative, but heavier.
    2. OpenOffice has all office needs except a mailprogram and is free. MS Office 2007 or 2003 if you have the disks is also fine.
    3. You could put a dump of wikipedia on it (yes, this is actually possible) ;) ? Give him something to read if the internet is down :p
    4. Adobe pdf reader.
    5. For fun: stellarium. A free planetarium that can be educational.
    6. Consider Chrome or Firefox as alternative browsers to IE. Install AdBlock+ to get rid of the online spam.

Grim Squeaker, Aug 26, 2010
Ask a Question