What antivirus are you using?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Sep 8, 2015.

?

What antivirus are you using?

1. NOD32

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AVG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Avast

33.3%
  4. Karspersky

33.3%
  5. Norton Antivirus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

33.3%
  1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi guys! Out of curiosity... what antivirus are you using? I recently had to switch from Nod32 to Avast, because a friend of mine told me the ''free'' version wasn't working as well as it once did. He told me that after I told him I was having a hard time finding new trial passwords. Naturally I believed him, because he hasn't really erred that much in the 11 years we have known each other.

Anyways, just let me know what antivirus you use and why? Have you caught a virus while using it? What's your favorite anti virus? Which one do you think is the best and why? Please vote if you can too :)

Sefie, Sep 8, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

I have always using Avast on all my Window computers for years. I believe it worked quite well since I don't have trouble with it. The only thing new from Avast this past years is their annoying pop-up ads every few hours! I just don't want to be disturb, and there is no way to turn it off.

IcyBC, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Oh, I feel so much better after reading your message, @IcyBC :) I was having my doubts, but I feel much better after I read the experiences of other users with this antivirus. Do you use the free version or the paid one? The paid one sounds very good! I mean, it doesn't seem expensive at all, so who knows, if I like it I might upgrade. Do you think it's a good idea? I'd like to hear your opinion, you have more experience than me with this antivirus.

Sefie, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Sefie

Ian Administrator

Kaspersky for me, although I was tempted to switch to NOD32 this year. I'm still on KIS 2016 for now though.

Ian, Sep 10, 2015
  5. Sefie

ryanch94

I use the built in Windows Defender on my PCs and generally haven't had any issues, although I am very careful anyway on whch sites I visit. I don't use any security suites on my OS X and Linux machines other than the built in tools. Virus free so far!

ryanch94, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Sefie

Sefie

That sounds remarkable! I did have a problem with Windows defender back when I was using the Windows 7 laptop D: I did catch a virus back then, that is what prompted me to switch to NOD32. I think i am virus free so far, i hope trojan and keylogger free as well ;) But you never know.

Sefie, Sep 11, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

@Ian Is it as good as I remember it was? I tried it years ago, when a virus was detected I'd heard the sound of a ''pig', is it still like that? Lol, whenever I heard that noise I knew the antivirus had caught something. I loved it! I wish I could switch to that one :) Is it really good? Why do you want to switch???

Sefie, Sep 11, 2015
  8. Sefie

sparkster

I'm using the free version of Avast antivirus. I've been using it for a few years now, after switching from the free version of AVG, and it's never let me down. It seems to do the job quite well. I'm also using Avast on my Android device.

sparkster, Sep 13, 2015
  9. Sefie

Ian Administrator

Haha, I don't get a pig sound when something is detected - just a musical tone. I like how it works though and have used it for a few years with success :).

Ian, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Sefie

sparkster

The thing is, no one single antivirus can be determined to be the best. One antivirus may say your system is clean whereas another antivirus may find something - was it that the first antivirus failed to detect a threat or was it that the second antivirus identified a false positive? And how will you know either way? A different application may also show your system as clean or perhaps not identify the previously detected threat/false positive or may even claim to detect a different threat all together! Simply put, none of them are 100% reliable.

sparkster, Sep 14, 2015
  11. Sefie

Sefie

Well, some antivirus software seem to be more prone to false positives... in my experience Norton is high on that list. They have been responsible for a lot false positives for me, NOD32 not so much. I did get false positives with NOD32, but those were cracks ;) Cracks are always flagged, even if they are not a threat. Very few antivirus don't flag them.

Sefie, Sep 14, 2015
  12. Sefie

Sefie

@Ian I really want to make the switch, maybe next year. Too bad they removed that pig sound, lol, it was so funny! I smiled every time i heard it, because it was like a reassurance the antivirus had caught something. But I guess they had no choice but to remove it, because that might not have sounded too professional ;)

Sefie, Sep 14, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  13. Sefie

IcyBC

The free version is all I used! All of my kids' laptops are using Avast too! I have tried other free versions such as McAfee and AVG, but it slow my computer down. If money was no problem, the paid one is good to consider as it seems to do more, and if it eliminates the ads, it would even be better. I just hate the pop-up ads they imposed on user this past year. Very annoying!

IcyBC, Sep 14, 2015
  14. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC That is great to hear, to be honest I had my doubts, but I feel so much better after getting all this feedback. A few days ago I was so tempted to give Nod32 another try, but your feedback and the things my friend said made me reconsider that. I'll keep it.

Sefie, Sep 14, 2015
Ask a Question