Whаt аrе sоmе rеаsоns tо buy аn Аpplе MасBооk instеаd оf а Windоws-bаsеd nоtеbооk?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Benoit W, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Benoit W

Benoit W

Popular question: Whаt аrе sоmе rеаsоns tо buy аn Аpplе MасBооk instеаd оf а Windоws-bаsеd nоtеbооk?
    Whеn I bоught it, thе MасBооk Аir wаs, pеrhаps surprisingly, thе bеst vаluе whеn соmpаrеd аgаinst similаrly соnfigurеd prеmium lаptоps.

I'm а lоng-timе Windоws usеr аnd wаntеd а lаptоp mееting sеvеrаl spесifiс spесifiсаtiоns:

1. High rеsоlutiоn displаy (bеttеr thаn 1366x768) sо thаt I саn fit mоrе соdе оn my sсrееn;

2. Lightwеight еnоugh fоr mе tо саrry аrоund withоut muсh соnсеrn (< 4 lbs);

3. Tасtilе kеybоаrd (nо mushinеss--Thinkpаd kеybоаrds bеing thе gоld stаndаrd in lаptоp kеybоаrds); аnd

4. SSD

I lооkеd lоng аnd hаrd fоr а Windоws lаptоp mееting thеsе spесs bасk in Осtоbеr 2011. Sоmе оf thе runnеrs up wеrе thе Lеnоvо T420s, Lеnоvо X220, Tоshibа Pоrtеgе R705, Аsus Zеnbооk UK31, аnd thе Sоny VАIО Z.

Benoit W, Apr 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Benoit W

spence88

You can find a lot of Windows based laptop / ultrabook with specifications similar to that at a lower price today.

Apple is known to have overpriced laptops, and not much has changed since then.

But there is no denying that it indeed looks absolutely beautiful.

spence88, Apr 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Benoit W

rz3300

I know that one reason that I would have never thought of a couple of years ago is that schools are using macs more and more these days. I was talking about this with some friends the other day and they were saying how their teachers all gave directions for the computer programs that were on a mac and a lot of the program were on a mac. It was interesting, because it seems like it was always the other way around.

rz3300, Apr 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Benoit W

Sefie

Meh, I have never thought of buying a Mac... for me Apple products are seen by most people as status symbols. Plus they aren't that great, my friend has a Mac and lately doesn't perform that fast or well. You just don't have the same freedom you do with non apple products. Plus fixing the most common issues on a Mac looks like a really challenging task, at least when compared to non apple laptops D: Lots headaches, if you ask me.

Sefie, Apr 10, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Benoit W

fcuco

Your friends go to a terrible school then. A teacher should teach principles and theory that are not linked to a particular brand or platform, because then you are not going to school, you are attending an Apple workshop. This applies to the Windows environment too, a quality school should teach you what a spreadsheet is and what can be accomplished with it, not teach you how to use Excel. The only exceptions being some programs that are so ubiquitous and de facto standards like photoshop that you simply have to learn those in particular because they are the tools of the trade, but even then, you should be able to port what you learned to other platforms if you were taught well.

fcuco, Apr 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Benoit W

IcyBC

I would be happy with any new laptop and my MacBook Air was given to me by my sister and brother. I like it so far since I am just a simple computer user. I don't do any downloads or coding or gaming, and I only use it to write, or blog most of the time.

IcyBC, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. Benoit W

spence88

I'll say this at the risk of sounding like an arrogant, but those who suggest that a Macbook laptop is the BEST or a better buy than any other laptop is absolutely misinformed. Nevertheless, I'm not saying it's a bad buy, it's just not a "better" buy, let alone a "best" buy. Going back on topic, I think for me, one of the best reasons to buy an Apple Macbook than a Windows laptop is personal preference. Macbooks are definitely a sight to behold, they are really beautiful. The specs, on the other hand, are model dependent, so you can find specs that are on par with other Windows laptop. So yeah, I think personal preference is a huge factor in buying decisions. Cheers everyone :)

spence88, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Benoit W

IBMPC8088

Benefits:
    1) A cute apple logo
    2) Feeling of value knowing you paid too much for nothing.
    3) Acceptance among hipsters and girls in California who carry small dogs in their purse.
    4) Street cred in Starbucks and other overpriced coffee shops.
    5) Making Apple richer for no reason.

Other than these 5 things, I can't see any reason to buy or use a Mac when you can completely emulate and install OS X on any Intel or AMD machine you like and have the same or better performance than what Apple's marketed hardware gives since Apple is just using Intel (I've installed Windows XP onto a Macbook Air and got the same performance as I did installing Mac OS X onto an Asus.

The difference? Not too much. Any minute changes were already smoothed over, and all the software ran 100% on each one for me). Having to get around Apple's physical button differences on the touchpad was about the only thing, and that was easily overcome two ways: 1) Software to emulate 2-button design, and 2) external usb mouse lol

I can't give you any legitimate reason to buy a Mac or Apple device except that it looks good if you're in a coffee shop or a mall. It doesn't have any performance advantage (in fact, it often has less!).

The only thing that I can say that you might want to use even OS X for is iTunes. Apple has deliberately made iTunes run more smoothly and better on OS X than they did on Windows. But again, you can run your own Mac OS X on your PC/Laptop and still have that same benefit without buying the overpriced and underpowered Apple hardware.

I tend to look at it this way: If you were buying a gold chain for looks, then Apple might suit you...but if you were buying a life support cord to save your life when climbing a mountain, you'll want a PC instead. The gold chain will snap and it won't save you while climbing like a real support system would.

IBMPC8088, Apr 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. Benoit W

Corzhens

This reply is for the benefit of my husband who is to buy a laptop soon. He wants a Mac because it is the best when it comes to graphics. Since my husband intends to use the laptop for video editing so Mac has the advantage because there are unresolved issues with Windows-operated computers regarding video editing.

Corzhens, Apr 13, 2016
  10. Benoit W

djtech

Well, it looks beautiful and is really state of the art. Also, you can be sure that tech wise it will be a little ahead of its competitors. Finally, you get apps that professionals use all the time for graphic designing, photography, software development, movie making, music production, etc.

djtech, Apr 13, 2016
  11. Benoit W

spence88

I'm sorry I hope you're not being sarcastic? No, please don't buy a Macbook. That's not what we are saying.
    This is just my opinion, but is definitely close to the real thing. I'll reiterate, the only good reason to buy a Mac is because of its looks. But please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's unreasonable to buy a Mac solely because of looks!

spence88, Apr 14, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  12. Benoit W

Corzhens

Oh, I'm not sarcastic, I'm serious with my post. And the info is not mine but my husband's. The video editing software called The Final Cut runs best in a Mac since the PC version is not that good. Most of the film editors that my husband knows advised a Mac for video editing since that is what they are using. So it's not just about the looks but the quality of the graphics. But mind you, I don't think we can afford the Macbook because it costs more than double that of an ordinary laptop.

Corzhens, Apr 14, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  13. Benoit W

djtech

If video editing is his thing, he should go for a macbook or for a powerful system with linux. Open source and free editing software are the in-thing when it comes to a lot of hollywood movies. Also, a desktop is much better since you can completely change its specs every few years.

djtech, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  14. Benoit W

Allen1

Аs sоmеоnе whо оwns bоth, аnd sоmеоnе whо wоrks оn а Mасbооk primаrily nоw, but hаving hаd yеаrs оf еxpеriеnсе оn оS X, Windоws аnd Linux lаptоps, I саn соnfidеntly sаy thаt until thе Surfасе Bооk frоm Miсrоsоft аrrivеs, I'd аlwаys piсk thе Mасbооk. Is thе аpp есоsystеm сlоsеd? Yеs. Is thе hаrdwаrе nеаr impоssiblе tо upgrаdе? Dеfinitеly. аrе thе pоwеr briсks frоm аpplе uttеr еxpеndаblе оvеrpriсеd gаrbаgе? аbsоlutеly. Is thе mаgsаfе2 pоrt thе flimsiеst pоrt еvеr dеvisеd by mаnkind? оh nо dоubt аbоut it. Is it irritаting tо hаvе tо buy prоpriеtаry аdаptеrs fоr еvеry singlе kind оf pеriphеrаl? аnd is it еnrаging tо hаvе thе WiFi соnnесtiоn diе whеn bluеtооth is оn? Yеs аnd yеs.

Allen1, Sep 23, 2016
Ask a Question