Welcome Acer Aspire One User Forums

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Jun 8, 2008.

1. KiNG

KiNG

KiNG, Jun 8, 2008
  2. KiNG

TW1NKY

Hello, nice site you got here, the aspire one looks like a great notebook. :D

TW1NKY, Jun 18, 2008
  3. KiNG

sembunyi

nice to know this site too. i happened to bump into this website accidentally when i'm trying to look for the release schedule.

sembunyi, Jun 20, 2008
  4. KiNG

Zippo

Great idea, the aspire one is a very interesting machine, let's enjoy it :D

Zippo, Jul 12, 2008
  5. KiNG

grabejud

nice nice.. somewhere we could share ideas with our One

grabejud, Jul 13, 2008
  6. KiNG

gerarddelafas

I'm loving it!

gerarddelafas, Jul 17, 2008
  7. KiNG

lala

Yes its finally about time since mostly every netbook has there own forum and finally a decent size portable umpc

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  8. KiNG

punksoul257

Hello guys,
    I'm hopefully getting my AAO in the next few weeks.
    Decided to go the way of the Linux model as i've always had an interest in linux though i don't really have a clue about Linux.

So yeah, Hi :)

punksoul257, Aug 18, 2008
  9. KiNG

oldskooladdict

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased an Aspire One about half an hour ago (online that is), looking forward to playing around with it - this seems like a friendly and active forum :)

I'll try to read as much as possible and not ask newbie questions, but as Knoppix is my only experience of Linux that might be difficult :p

Predominantly purchased it to use on the tube for reading ebooks / pdf files etc

oldskooladdict, Aug 20, 2008
  10. KiNG

RTB

Happy new member

One has just aspired to an aspire one!

Delighted to find this forum which has already been helpful in dealing with the MS Messenger problem, reading NTFS external USB hard drive and unfortunately confirming that there is no linux driver for my MP600R multifunctional. Still you can't win them all!

I look forward to exploring the wonders of linux which is new to me.

Thanks to those who post this helpful stuff :D

RTB, Aug 24, 2008
  11. KiNG

estnyc

Hi everyone. Since Tuesday I've been the happy owner of a AAO. I'm trying to make XP a little less annoying, and I'm trying to decide if it's time to take the plunge and go for OS X. I'm a long-time Mac geek, but I've done little with Windows except as an end-user. I'm afraid I may have already bored the XP folks with my newbie questions.

I'll be using my AAO for writing, and I'm very happy with the keyboard. It's not fullsize, but it's very usable, especially when resting on a desk in front of me. It's not the greatest for typing in one's lap, but it's tolerable.

I seem to have hosed my network setup by installing updates and tweaking the WiFi card so it might actually, well, work. I get websites fine, then after a few minutes it seems to lose its connection with the DNS -- it can't find anything, although the card's still connected to my wireless network. I'm beginning to think nuke and pave is the best fix for my skill level -- just use the recovery software and start over. Sigh.

This is a wonderful little toy (especially for the $250 it cost me!), and I'm glad that there's already such an active community supporting it.

estnyc, Aug 29, 2008
  12. KiNG

simbeb

After waiting for my Elonex Onet for four months (still waiting), I have lost interest and started looking for something else. Jumped on a deal from Dixons which was offering the Acer Aspire One aaw-110 for £199 flat and no shipping charge. I am getting it beginning of next week and am very excited. Not too crazy about Linpus's look so please tell me if it's any good. Looking forward to an official release of Ubuntu Netbook edition - see? I haven't got it yet and I'm already customizing it!.. see you all later on the forum.

simbeb, Sep 4, 2008
  13. KiNG

Geekgirl

Hi Everyone!
    I came across this forum by accident looking for Aspire reviews, it looks a fab site which I know I'll be using alot for help and advice :lol:
    I have just taken delivery of my brand new Acer aspire one 512MB 120Gb with Linux.Bought from Amazon. I've never used Linux before so I chose the linux version to try to actually learn something! :lol: so far (with my cautious using) its a fantastic machine, I just need to wait for my husband to get home from work to give me the router passwords so I can get it online. Even my 2 year old son complained at me when I yold him to take his hands off my new toy :lol:

Geekgirl, Sep 5, 2008
  14. KiNG

ipearl

oh the 120GB came with 512 option ???

ipearl, Sep 6, 2008
  15. KiNG

jmm1113

i've just recently bought my aao 150 and was really impressed so far with the performance, though I won't be able to do much of the tweaks if not with this forum... it really helps me a lot... thank you to all the contributors and the admins :)

jmm1113, Oct 20, 2008
  16. KiNG

spider

hey all outthere !
    always need this sort of thing to help along those who may have more trouble then others or likes been said .finding solutions faster this way is way better then going to the mfg for help.most times its someone out there who has come across a better mousetrap so to speak
    i for one have already come across solutions to some problems and ideas now i "just " have to try ............"no guts no glory "

spider, Nov 6, 2008
  17. KiNG

Winfried

I bought the aspire one about 14 days ago. Its a very good tool when reading , writing, calculating, websurfing, and e-mailing. And I am more than happy that this user forum exists. I am also quite astonished how much after sales service acer is doing for this little machine: eg update services on the official aspireone website like moving from firefox 2 to firefox 3. I read several fairly complicated methods of doing this moving - complicated for an XP user - and now acer has put on the download a file which one loads and it automatically upgrades to firefox 3. That's great.
    I tried to load some of my favorites from the XP environment using the wine facility but there I had no success. This is trist since the LINUX people seem not to have much interest in fotosoftware; at least until now I did not find anything equivalent eg to fotoslide from acdsee. But when I tried to use this application under wine it did not work. Most likely I did something wrong.
    I do not want to complain. Since I came in touch with the LINUX world, it is definitely different from the XP world attitudes -eg when I have to use line commands- and brings me back to my past experience some decades ago when I used to programme fortran and pl1. Its nice, however, if somebody eg as my wife,who just want to use the facilities of such a machine it becomes difficult.
    I can see that acer with its support tries to close the gap between the Linux and XP world for the normal user, who is not interested in programming even not in understanding how the computer works as long as it works. And one statement one has to make: aspireone works under LINUX and that fast; XP people can only dream about such speeds.
    I like very much the many options and the incredible speed of the machine. posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=2#

Winfried, Dec 25, 2008
  18. KiNG

Foux

Hello Aspire Owners!

I've been trolling the site since I got my AAO-150 back in December and I just wanted to say thanks for having such a wonderful community.

I just finished installing the touch screen, internal BT, and the Dell OSX/*Nix compatible wifi card. I knew what parts to buy, who to buy them from, and how to install without reading crappy OEM documentation. It took three hours and everything booted perfectly on the first shot. I couldn't have done any of this if it wasn't for the AAO forums.

Next I have to setup Vista, OSX and Ubuntu for touch friendly GUIs. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of y'all on the boards :D

-Fouxer

Foux, Feb 5, 2009
  19. KiNG

mrbob

Hi!!!

I bought my AAO a few days ago. I wanted to buy a netbook to use n my bar, and i wanted with linux, because it's cheaper and to have no issues with licences, and one of the doubts was the online support, from the manufacturer and users.
    Today i'm happy with the choice i've maid, and against the comments i've read there's a lot of information in the web, and it happens i've probably found the best forum about aao.

I'm new too the world of linux, i always used windows so, but here's my confession, i surrender to the potencial of linux, and i'm only in the beginning of the road...

Thank's to all, for the thing's i've alreay learn as visitor, and hello for all, now that i'm a member...

c,

mrbob

mrbob, Feb 5, 2009
  20. KiNG

kevinlyman

I have an Acer Aspire One which will no longer accept the internet through WiFi or Ethernet connection I have tried the mv fix but it is not recognised. Has anyone any ideas please ?

kevinlyman, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question