weird network manager icon issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by quarknimble, Dec 19, 2008.

1. quarknimble

quarknimble

so ive been having my AAO 110 with linpus lite, 8gb ssd for 2 days now, and recently managed to "unlock" the "real" desktop via the desktop switcher 0.3 utility found on this forum somewhere.

problem is i notice, on startup the connection manager icon is missing, as well as my kpowersave battery/charge icon indicator.

the weirdest thing is, if i point the pointer in the tray between either the volume icon and clock, or in the space between a couple other icons, the icons in the tray will "bounce around" horizontally for a few seconds and then the connection manager and battery/charge icons will appear and i will soon have internet access. if i do not do this and the connection manager icon never appears, i will NOT have wireless internet access.

as a linux newbie, i am totally stumped. glad i got this far though. it still works, but i have to make sure i move the pointer around in the tray the right way or else no connection manager icon, no wireless connection, and no battery/charge icon. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

quarknimble, Dec 19, 2008
  2. quarknimble

merciful-release

I have the same problem with my network and icon. I noticed no one replied but did you solve the issue?

merciful-release, Feb 2, 2009
  3. quarknimble

merciful-release

cured problem:-

1. Open the terminal by "ALT+F2" and then type "terminal" ->Run.
    2 Run "mv ~/.gconf/system/networking ~/" to clear all the root network connections (don't type quotes ).

There is one space between mv and ~ and one space between networking and ~

After doing this, it will not have "ANY" network connections that may have been previously setup in network manager.
    Reboot the unit and the network icon will appear. You will need to configure your network again.

merciful-release, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question