Weird battery and monitor shutdown issue - [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mistseeker, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mistseeker

mistseeker

Ok, I'm experiencing a weird battery issue on my Jaunty installation on an AOA110 with 1GB Ram and latest BIOS 3310:

When working on battery power, at about 50-40%, the screen abruptly shuts down. A hard power off is the only way to restart the system, as the system appears to be frozen.

I searched a lot on this forum and others, and have found threads about similar problems, but this issue seems different and doesn't seem to be a hardware related issue for me. Why?

1. I've tested Elive which doesn't produce the same problem. Kuki and other jaunty-based distros produce the same problem, however.
    2. On BIOS mode, the battery empties normally.
    3. I've tested another AOA110 battery on my system, it produces the same problem. My battery on another AOA110 works fine.
    4. When I use EXAILE to PLAY music on my system, the screen doesn't shut down! Battery power diminishes normally to the lowest level.

This is a rather irritating problem, and I don't want to have music on all the time just to work on battery power!

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time in advance!

Nektarios-Greece.

UPDATE: [SOLVED]

After submitting the error @ the ubuntuforums launchpad, the guys there suggested I use ACPI=off, and indeed the shutdown stopped. I wasn't satisfied by this, however, since I got no battery power bar, ACPI options like suspend etc, which made this half-solution.

Then I stumbled on this thread, in this forum:
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13699

I did what user TheTilde suggest, converted to ubuntu:

I edited the /etc/rc.local file ( sudo gedit /etc/rc.local ) which (since I had applied the 'increase battery life' tweak shown on the Ubuntu Acer Aspire One community page when installing jaunty) initially looked like this:

Code:
    # Economize the SSD
    sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1               # Strongly discourage swapping
    sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50      # Don't shrink the inode cache aggressively

# As in the rc.last.ctrl of Linpus
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_max > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
    echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_smt_power_savings
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

#Decrease power usage of USB while idle
    [ -w /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-5/power/level ] && echo auto > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-5/power/level
    [ -w /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-5/power/level ] && echo auto > /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-5/power/level

and commented the #Decrease power usage of USB while idle script so it looked like this:

Code:
    #Decrease power usage of USB while idle
    #[ -w /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-5/power/level ] && echo auto > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-5/power/level
    #[ -w /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-5/power/level ] && echo auto > /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-5/power/level
    So this issue really is a usb to acpi communication problem of that specific script. All ok. Problem solved.

mistseeker, Sep 15, 2009
Ask a Question