WEBCAM Failure no solutions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rinch, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rinch

rinch

After viewing hundreds of posts and answers, there is no solution to find the built in webcam that can't be found, especially after a reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling all drivers.
    Acer doesn't have anything on their web site about this issue...why?
    It is a problem all over the world for many Acer model.

rinch, Mar 8, 2011
  2. rinch

donec

I am not sure what you actually want your webcam for or what AAO you are talking about, even though I do know of many people having problems with their webcam not working right and I also know that many Linux distros do not work well with the webcams in the AAO's. However! My AAO d150-1920 running dual boot with Windows 7 Home Premium and Linux Mint has the webcam working for Skype in both and ManyCam for Windows 7 and Cheese for Linux Mint. My wife's AAO D250 has the webcam working for Skype in XP (she doesn't want to try anything else). So I think there are solutions.

donec, Mar 8, 2011
  3. rinch

Swarvey Moderator

It doesn't really matter what the OP wants the webcam for, and it doesnt really matter which AAO they're talking about. The webcams in these little rigs have a habit of just up and dying every now and then. So far the only two solutions are to either reflash new firmware to the cam (if you can find it) or to replace the cam all in all.

Swarvey, Mar 8, 2011
  4. rinch

donec

I disagree. I've had 4 AAO's and they have all worked for the webcam, but they may not work with all software like some of the instant messengers I don't know if they will work with any since I don't use them. So if they want them for Skype then they can work even for different OS. If you ave the right software and they work for other things. So it does matter what software you use and what you want the webcam for. I know people have complained of problems but I think much of that is not getting the right software combination and maybe flashing their BIOS when it is not needed. You may be right about it not mattering which model AAO is used. I can't answer to that because I haven't had access to very many models only 4.

donec, Mar 9, 2011
  5. rinch

rinch

Mine is an Acer Aspire One D150-1165..it worked fine until I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall software. Did not touch any hardware....
    I reinstalled the original backup CD I created when I purchased it, didn't work...then ordered and paid for repair CD's from Acer.
    Nothing works....I am convinced it is software not a hardware problem....why doesn't Acer address this problem after all of the comments on this discussion panel. Searched on "Webcam" and had over 2000 comments....still not resolved.

rinch, Mar 9, 2011
  6. rinch

donec

Did you go to Acer.com and download the drivers for your operating system? It could be that you got recovery CD's that are for a different model or different OS than you have. I see that Acer.com has drivers for XP Home Edition 32bit and XP Home Professional 32bit. The drivers for them may not be the same as Acer could have packaged a different webcam in the 2 versions they sell.

donec, Mar 9, 2011
  7. rinch

Swarvey Moderator

@donec: whether or not you agree, if you look through the forums here (you might have to look deep because it hasn't been covered in a while, the webcams can indeed die for no apparent reason. More specifically the webcams produced by Lite-On. I've been moderating here for quite some time and have seen my share of webcam complaints. Most recently the user elpaulio and I have been working on solutions. We're both using D250's with different cam manufacturers, mine's still working, albeit not to full functionality, however his is refusing to work at all the last I heard. In previous threads, other users have had minimal success with obtaining and flashing firmware, others have had to replace the cam component altogether. I've still got the working cam module from my 150 as a backup to replace mine when I give up on working on it.

The cams are USB-based modules that use a set of USB cables running through the the monitor LCD lead from the motherboard. Yesterday I had to repair my LCD lead as some wires had snapped through closing and opening the lid. One must wonder if it's not firmware or driver issues, then could it be the leads?

I refuse to belive it's a software issue now as I have seen far too many people trying far too many drivers and software configurations.

Swarvey, Mar 9, 2011
  8. rinch

donec

@Swarvey: I've been a member since 2008 and have followed most of the webcam problems, so I know there are people that are having problems. I also know several have found solutions. Just as I know several have not. The main thing I disagreed with is that to me your post implied that all the problems with the webcams are the fault of Acer. When often the problems come from things like driver failures, bios problems, software problems, problems due to wires getting pinched when people put their netbooks back together after making mods or memory upgrades, defective components and other things. Many of those problems are fixable but the process can sometimes be complicated and some just can't be fixed. But to say "It doesn't really matter what the OP wants the webcam for, and it doesn't really matter which AAO they're talking about. The webcams in these little rigs have a habit of just up and dying every now and then." is just too simplistic and tells people there is no reason to try to fix them and that the AAO's are junk which they most definitely not. They are one of the better ideas that have come from the industry. For most people they do everything they want and do it well. They are not under powered for their intended use and they are not game machines. Sorry but I am a big fan of netbooks and so many people want to keep putting them down because they are not perfect. While no computer is perfect not even IBM's Watson. :roll:

donec, Mar 10, 2011
  9. rinch

Swarvey Moderator

@donec - I never intended to say the faults were all Acer, they're not, in fact they're the fault of the manufacturer of the webcam hardware (lite-on, suyin etc). Especially when a lot of the comments about faulty cams are not the result of anyone dismantling their AAO, nor could it be anything but a hardware fault when all a user has done is a system restore. As you should well know, this is indeed the situation where all people have done is a system restore, after which no matter what drivers (software) they install, no matter which OS (software) they install, no matter what BIOS (software) they install, the problems remain. Thus the problem is hardware, beyond most users ability to repair.

No it does NOT matter what the user wants their cam for, maybe they want to play with some cute girls (or boys) over msn, maybe they want to use Skype, maybe they want their six year old to play in ms paint, the point is, quite frankly it's none of our business. It's the software in which they are testing the actual usability of the webcam that can make a difference.

I will accept the fact that not all models of AAO suffer the same problems, but the webcam hardware hasn't really changed all that much through the models, so it's about 50-50 as to what model it is. Beside, what I said is true, the cam in my D250 worked absolutely flawlessly until I started trying to help elpaulio with his, then it had a hiccup in MSN, which later fixed itself.

After installing different drivers and trying to use the cam in different software, there is no real reason for someone to continue attempting to screw around with software settings to try and get faulty hardware to work. It's far easier for them to either replace the webcam module themselves (which only requires removing the bezel from the LCD) or having Acer repair it under warranty. For this reason alone I've still got the webcam module from my original AAO in the event I need to replace the hardware.

I do agree that netbooks are a great innovation, my D250 has virtually replaced all my office computers. I also agree that for most people the AAO does what it was intended for, ultimate mobility and internet or desktop based applications. They have no real graphics potential and are not designed for gaming. Yes you may play older games that require a lesser computer, but seriously? a 1.6Ghz CPU, even with 2Gb RAM and a reasonably fast storage medium, they don't have the power behind the (integrated) graphics to play decent games. I have seen reports of people playing GTA VC, but that's about the most graphically demanding game I've seen on it, and they don't even run in a decent enough resolution. If you want to talk about gaming, the graphics card in my desktop cost more than my AAO and it does serve up some gaming. It's also just blatant idiocy to try and run games that out-spec the machine you intend to run it on. On the other hand some people can live with poor frame rates, low resolutions and lack of detail. But if you want to buy a machine to play games on, get a decent machine that is capable of it, not one that is designed for internet browsing and other low-demand applications.

I too am a big fan of netbooks, but what I'm not a fan of is screwing around for months on end, trying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. The BEST bet is to either replace a faulty cam module, or have it repaired under warranty. These machines are great, and well worth it, provided you dont' expect too much of intel's mobile chipset, miniaturised circuitry, low-end graphics performance etc etc. But they really aren't worth screwing around constantly with difficult to implement solutions, when there are far easier and sometimes cheaper alternatives.

P.S If you have seen solutions posted, then how about instead of starting arguments with moderators, you post some links to these solutions and contribute to the thread. And once more, I reinforce my opinion that it is none of our business what the user wants their cam for, however we are here to help users to get them working. No more arguments on here, if you have some input that can solve the OP's problem then go for it.

Swarvey, Mar 11, 2011
  10. rinch

donec

I had no desire to start an argument with anyone I just wanted to let others know that not every one thought the problems with webcams and AAO's were hopeless.

donec, Mar 12, 2011
  11. rinch

rinch

Lots of speculation previously, but no Acer input or solutions on their web page.

I keep getting an "unknown" USB device showing up...delete/remove it and when I restart or even sooner it shows up again, says it is installing etc.
    This happens even when I have nothing plugged into any USB port. Sound, and microphone both work, so am assuming it is the webcam as some of the posts on this discussion group have said that is how it is configured.
    Then I try to install drivers which are from acer, and it can't find the webcam
    I have not opened the case so don't suspect loose wires.
    It worked BEFORE I reformatted the hard drive..and not after, so it doesn't seem likely that it would just stop working.

.....so its there and its not there, neither is a solution.

rinch, Mar 15, 2011
  12. rinch

7dwarfs

The webcam is faulty, firmware's screwed up, that's all. Get a spare webcam on ebay, I recommend a "Rose". Don't waste your time trying to flash it, because you won't find the right software and bin file.

7dwarfs, Mar 28, 2011
  13. rinch

jcvg

I have Acer D250 with webcam problem. I installed than wrks once & then completely disappears. No imaging device shows in Device Manager under Win 7 normal or Safe modes. I been 2 site & downloaded all 3 Drivers listed, Liteon,Suyin & Chicony. None can locate cam. So other than opening up. How does one determine which manufacturer the webcam is from? It seems the only fix is external webcam or replacement "Rose" from GB. Please advise .Thank You

jcvg, Dec 4, 2011
  14. rinch

donec

donec, Dec 4, 2011
Ask a Question