Web cam lost??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by snowshow, May 28, 2009.

1. snowshow

snowshow

We use the linpus version of the AA1 as a general household "hack"--weather.email, etc., also as a computer trainer for the younger members of the house. Well, one of our "trainees" managed to disable the webcam by messing around in the Add/Remove part of the Package Manager. Said he uninstalled one selection of the installed software, got distracted for 30 minutes, then was unable to remember what it was he removed. As result the built in webcam is no longer available. Its icon has even been removed from the "Fun" section of the home page.

Now after all the above, is someone able to tell me what software needs to be selected within the "package manager" that might bring the webcam back into service. Please be advised the unit is using XFCE desktop environment and is operating the factory installed 150g hard drive.

Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Will make me especially happy if possible to fix it without having to use the recovery disc.

snowshow, May 28, 2009
  2. snowshow

snowshow

An update----- The webcam is now operating with video chat. However the webcam "icon" is still missing from "Fun" and therefore am unable to use it to take a photo or record/save a short video. Any ideas how a guy might salvage the icon and use of "webcam" for taking photos or video.

Thanks

snowshow, Jun 1, 2009
  3. snowshow

snowshow

Supplemental ?s.

If the cam is working in video chat,but,does not function as simple camera/video cam in the home page--is it correct that it is recognized and operated by software not common to the 2 modes?

Should this be the way, does anyone know the names of the program/files that I should be looking for and even as important for linux "greenie", where would be a good place to start looking.

I suppose that the use of a reload of the system would restore what is needed. Would like to avoid this if possible in order to stay clear of the different problems that come with a total reformat.

Tim

snowshow, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question