Web browser does not open

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ua935, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ua935

ua935

Browser will not open - help please

Hi All,

Aspire one was working fine, I was browsing the net as normal. Closed the browser down and now it will not open again.

When I click the browser icon it seems to beging to load but then nothing.

If I right click and select browser it comes up saying "failed to execute default web browser".

Can any help?

I have also noticed that since this issue when I start up the Aspire a small icon flashes up in the top left of the screen just for a split second.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

ua935, Nov 29, 2010
  2. ua935

skybluemike

I have an Aspire One running Linux, which I have had for 2 years with no problems - I only use it for browsing the web. However within the last 2 days I cannot 'open' the web browser from the Linux desktop. Put simply, when I click on the web browser icon, to launch firefox, the mouse icon confirms i have clicked, by 'spinning round' but then Firefox does not launch - the desktop remains. We have good secured wireless connection and the system confirms this within wireless connections area. The system always connects to wireless no problem and I have tried rebooting the netbook and switch off/on my wireless router several times. Each time wireless connects fine, but still Firefox does not launch on clicking. All other applications launch OK. Can anyone help?

skybluemike, Jan 17, 2011
  3. ua935

brenda226

I am having the exact same problem, see my post. Does your status indicator light come on?

brenda226, Jan 17, 2011
  4. ua935

skybluemike

Hi - not sure, I'll check but this will have to be later on today...do all your other apps open OK (eg word,spreadsheet,games etc) as mine seem to...

5. ua935

brenda226

yes everything else is fine including the connection??

brenda226, Jan 17, 2011
  6. ua935

donec

Which distro of Linux are you running?
    Can you right click on the icon and bring up the properties of the shortcut? If so then add " -safemode" to the end of the command without the quotation marks and don't forget the space in front of the -. This will open Firefox in its basic mode without hardly any extensions. Sometimes Firefox will upgrade to a new version and the extensions have not been upgraded yet and so they break Firefox until they are either disabled or upgraded.

donec, Jan 17, 2011
  7. ua935

NLongsden

Re: Browser will not open - help please

Simon, did you solve the problem, please as I have the same problem. If you have a solution could you pass it on, please? I am struggling with Linux so need step by step answer please. Best wishes... Neil

NLongsden, Jan 17, 2011
  8. ua935

NLongsden

Can not connect to Browser

We have the Aspire One 110 on Linux. Internet was working fine until yesterday when I found it would not connect to the Browser. It seemed to be trying for a few seconds and then ceased. The machine says I am connected to the internet (Wanadoo) and other PC's work fine on the same router. I have sent an email to Acer so far without success. We can not access the internet at all on the netbook to browse or send emails.... advice would be appreciated. Neil

NLongsden, Jan 17, 2011
  9. ua935

skybluemike

Re: Can not connect to Browser

Hi sounds like you're having same problem as me, happened pretty much the same time (I first could not connect v late sat jan 15th) - see my post 'web browser does not open' - someone has put a reply on my post which i am going to have a look in more detail...

10. ua935

skybluemike

Thanks for advice - i understand the logic of what you have said, I'm using Linux Lite v1.01.15.E on Acer One A0A150...but I can't right click on any of the program icons to follow up what you have advised - any other ideas?! thanks again..

11. ua935

skybluemike

I've finally fixed this by installing firefox 3.6 - see link here

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html

You have to follow the instructions exactly as they apear on the page, lots of line code,however it does work (for me on second time of asking!) also youget a better version of Firefox browser
    :D

skybluemike, Jan 18, 2011
  12. ua935

skybluemike

Re: Can not connect to Browser

I've finally fixed this by installing firefox 3.6 - see link here

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html

You have to follow the instructions exactly as they apear on the page, lots of line code and using my work laptop side by side while i typed it all in to the acer aspire one, however it does work (for me on second time of asking!) also you get a better version of Firefox browser
    :D

skybluemike, Jan 18, 2011
  13. ua935

steve48

Hi

My machine has been going along trouble free for 20 months and on Sunday 16th Jan on starting up exhibited exactly the same problems with Browser as outlined by Simon.

Any help out there much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

steve48, Jan 18, 2011
  14. ua935

donec

What model of computer?
    What operating system?
    Which browser?

donec, Jan 18, 2011
  15. ua935

steve48

Hi donec

My machine is an Acer Aspire One, with 16Gb SSD running Linux. Browser is Firefox, the original as have been unable to update version, but it was working until this "hung" browser problem.

Cheers

Steve

steve48, Jan 19, 2011
  16. ua935

donec

Hi Steve,

Do you have an external DVD/CD burner or can you borrow one?
    The reason I ask is the Linpus Linux that Acer supplied with my 8Gig SSD ZG5 AAO was crippled meaning there were many things that were blocked just to make the system work with that machine and when Firefox was updated it (according to the post here in this forum) would cause many different things to appear broken. This happen so much that a lot of people tried to make special versions of Linux that would work only to fail for quite a while. Sadly instead of succeeding the programmers just quit. While other models came out and more stated showing up with Windows.

Today I am running Linux Mint on my 8Gig SSD ZG5 AAO. It also runs well on my 160Gig HD AAO D150 and D250 without any modifications. It is very easy to install if you have an external drive. Do to this information I recommend backing up your data and installing Linux Mint 32-bit standard version via the Live DVD. It will allow your netbook to do most anything a regular Laptop could do (excepting modern games).

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Let me know if you need more info or help.

As for getting the browser working you may fix it by running it in Safe Mode. I am not sure just how your version of Linux interface is so it's kind of hard to give exact instructions. However if you have a shortcut on your desktop then you right click on the shortcut and select properties and a window should open. At the end of the command line add " -safemode" without the quote marks and don't forget the space before the -.

donec, Jan 20, 2011
  17. ua935

steve48

Hi donec

Thanks for your advice.

I have decided to beg/borrow/steal/buy (!) a DVD/CD R/W.

I have copied my personal files to a dongle and will start from scratch.

Thanks again.

Steve

steve48, Jan 21, 2011
  18. ua935

RWJ23kwqho

I am having the same problem as others. Suddenly this month, the Firefox web browser wouldn't open. All other applications seem to work OK. Right clicking on any desktop icon produces nothing. I upgraded Firefox as suggested in one of the posts and while I get the new icon OK, still Firefox will not open. All I get is the message that my last session closed unexpectedly and invites me to click on Restore My Last Session or Start a New Session. Clicking on either does nothing. I know nothing about Linux but followed the upgrade instructions meticulously and it seemed to work OK but still Firefox won't start. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

RWJ23kwqho, Jan 26, 2011
  19. ua935

donec

From all the people having this problem I suspect there has been an upgrade in Firefox that is not playing well with the extensions out there. I recommend you start Firefox in safe mode and see if that works.

1. If it does work then you need to disable your extensions one by one until you find the one or ones that are causing the problem.
    2. Since your problem sounds like it is with the sessions manager if you are not using Tab Mix Plus I recommend you change to it as it has always worked for me.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/

To start Firefox in safe mode right click on the icon and select properties. When the properties window opens then add " -safemode" to the end of the command, without the quotes making sure you add the space before the dash. To run Firefox in regular mode just remove the " -safemode" statement.

If you have problems just come back here and we'll see what we can do.

donec, Jan 26, 2011
  20. ua935

RWJ23kwqho

Thanks for the quick reply but I don't know how to start Firefox in safe mode since, as I mentioned, when I right click on any icon including Firefox, nothing happens.

RWJ23kwqho, Jan 26, 2011
Ask a Question