watching movies on aspire one

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by carygrant123, Nov 19, 2008.

1. carygrant123

carygrant123

Have just bought acer aspire one linux version (512 MB RAM 120GB) for my daughter for Christmas and have searched the forum for the very basic advice on watching movies. Have seen lots of guides as to installing VLC or similar, but can't find anywhere that states how you actually get a movie onto your netbook in the first place! (sorry have no real pc knowledge at all). I had hoped that she could watch her dvds on this - we have a 'normal' pc windows xp too - do I need to put the dvds on here first and then put them on my memory stick? (If so, how? copy and paste?) Or is there somewhere I can get a movie directly from the internet to play on the netbook? Sorry - I am completely ignorant - but all the reviews I read before purchasing all said how it was ideal to watch movies - how? Thank you

carygrant123, Nov 19, 2008
  2. carygrant123

yatfu

You could either download the movies from the net (illegally) directly to your aspire one, using a bittorrent client. Of course I can't write down here how to do that exactly, but google is your friend. You could also choose to "rip" a dvd yourself (create an image of the movie) and then put it on your aspire one using a usb-stick or something. Using google you'll be able to find a lot of guides how to rip a dvd, after that you could play it using VLC.

yatfu, Nov 19, 2008
  3. carygrant123

carygrant123

Thank you - are there any legal sites for video/ movie downloads? Had heard somewhere that itunes were maybe going to start a 'pay for movie' feature on their site?
    Would I need to rip dvd using any special software - have googled for some info but all sound v technical and complicated - need something as simple as insert dvd and copy! Is this too naive of me? Or is my only real option a dvd drive as an add on?
    Thanks again

carygrant123, Nov 20, 2008
  4. carygrant123

yatfu

Yes you can rent and buy movies on iTunes! There are some programs that provide an insert dvd and copy option, like this one: http://www.ileadsoft.com/How-to-Copy-DVD-to-iso.html

After ripping your dvd to iso it can be watched using a player like VLC :)

yatfu, Nov 21, 2008
  5. carygrant123

tsetse27

Just got my One for two weeks now (WindowXP) and love it!!

Appreciate someone provide more suggestion about watching DVD on One:

1.) Recommandation for DVD-Rip programme (freeware or not)

2.) I also have a large collection of imported DVD (region-2 and region-3, also PAL instead of NTSC.) Any reocmmandation for region-free DVD player?

Thank you!

tsetse27, Nov 21, 2008
  6. carygrant123

tonygibbons

Just to say xilisoft dvd ripper is a great product. Very effective and easy to use to.

You can get it as a download from the xilisoft website for about $30 I think, which is about £15 (I think).

Each time you want to rip a film you just have to insert it, click "get disc info" and then click "start ripping".

Simple and effective.

tonygibbons, Nov 21, 2008
  7. carygrant123

dattaway

2) http://www.ebay.com and search for "dvd player region" and you'll see hundreds of deals.

1) The free mplayer will rip dvd's into any format you want, but its command line driven and I'm sure there are more user friendly applications out there.

dattaway, Nov 21, 2008
  8. carygrant123

busby1971

dvdfab will rip your dvds to your hard drive and dvdshrink will make them smaller, you'll need to do this on your main computer and transfer them over though.

Only do this with DVDs you own or you'll be in trouble.

busby1971, Nov 21, 2008
  9. carygrant123

Acerace

The best way to see movies on the Acer at home is to share them out after ripping them with DVD Fab or some other software, then keep them in a shared folder and put them on the wireless network. Now all computers on your network can watch or copy the movie files for later viewing if necessary. This works great and everyone can watch what they want at the same time! ;) ;) ;)

Acerace, Nov 22, 2008
  10. carygrant123

jigwashere

11. carygrant123

tsetse27

Thank you everybody!

I used the suggested softwares and all working well.

tsetse27, Nov 30, 2008
  12. carygrant123

akaye47

Not sure if it helps, but there is a website that you can view full TV shows without having to download called hulu.

akaye47, Dec 1, 2008
  13. carygrant123

carygrant123

Thank you for your replies - I am still trying to rip dvd to my main pc and then onto a memory stick to play on the acer using the suggestions above - but am complete novice and am still struggling! Ho hum I will keep trying - by the way I tried the website 'hulu' and thought this would be the answer to my problems but it is USA only!!!! Thanks anyway

carygrant123, Dec 21, 2008
  14. carygrant123

poneis

you can use a program called dvd shrink to rip your dvds to a pendrive...it will generate a image file and you'll need to install a virtual drive on your aspire one like daemon tool to run the image you created

personally i don´t like watching movies on the aspire one. The screen can't display black colors correctly...even setting the brightness at 100%, you can't see nothing when the movie uses darker colors

poneis, Dec 23, 2008
  15. carygrant123

carygrant123

have managed to download dvd shrink - but how do I turn it into compatible movie for acer? Thank you for helping :)

carygrant123, Dec 26, 2008
  16. carygrant123

dskid807

What would bee the best resolutuion to rip to? I have CloneDVD Mobile which allows me to select any res. to rip to but I don't know what would be best on the One,

dskid807, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question