Was the AA1 the right choice?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by palingenesis, Sep 12, 2008.

1. palingenesis

palingenesis

With all these other ultraportable laptops or "netbooks" coming out, was making an early decision to get a first gen AA1 the right choice? All of my friends and co-workers are jealous of it, just because of it's size and usability. Buying first gen products always makes me feel bad because of all the optimizations and better versions that come out 6 months later. I mean just look at the EEE PC, that has so many variations that it is hard to keep track of them. I've used other netbooks and enjoy the AA1 out of most them, I got the Linpus edition for the price, little did I know there were huge amounts of customization options available from the community to spruce up the generic default OS.

I know there will be better AA1's and I'm quite satisfied with mine but I am also constantly looking at other netboooks and saying "that's really cool."

palingenesis, Sep 12, 2008
  2. palingenesis

donec

I think for me it was but that is a decision only you can make.

donec, Sep 12, 2008
  3. palingenesis

billr

I think u made the right choice the AA1 is the best in it's class...sure there are gonna be more..there always will be that's the nature of the beast.

I was looking ....nearly pulled the trigger on the EEEPC ....had eee900 on order twice but cancelled as Ausus kept changing the specs.....however as soon as I saw the AA1 there was no contest at all...it is a greatl ittle machine. :D

billr, Sep 12, 2008
  4. palingenesis

chowwuikeung

I myself, only needed a device to read ebooks with (I'm taking the CSC course); So my needs are met.

....but the power user within me, wants more. I'm gonna have to learn more linux commands to get the most out of this. Gonna get more ram later.

You really gotta ask yourself what you need the laptop for. For the power users, they should get the dual core, 12 inch or greater laptops.

chowwuikeung, Sep 13, 2008
  5. palingenesis

snowwy66

if you do the price comparison. the aa1 was the first to come out with the price point that was originally designed for in the first place. basically it's the first one out for the cheapest price. i waited till the xp version came out. it was 500 at best buy. but i saw the ad posted early and bought the following day at 350. my only qualm is the 6 cell battery soon to be coming out. but after 2 years of waiting and finding something better for the same price soon to be rolling out. the aa1 came and the price was right. besides. mine don't get used as much as i thought i would. so i can always sell it for something better. or just wait to buy a 6 cell battery for what i have. which right now is my plan when the batteries become available. crossing fingers i don't have to sell my left nut for it. :lol:

snowwy66, Sep 13, 2008
  6. palingenesis

jolly

That's a great question. Like many, I did tons of research, waited, waited and waited some more... and nearly bought an EEE- three times. But the price of the EEE kept holding me back. I felt that the concept of the netbook was getting a simple, small notebook that did only a few things very well, and didn't give me that sick sense of buyers remorse I often have when I buy computers. With shipping, I paid about 400.00 for the Linux version. This way I can afford to upgrade next year. This is in contrast to my PC that cost me almost 2 grand. It's awesome, but I'm stuck with it for awhile.

It also depends on what you want out of your machine. I also have another laptop which I now NEVER use and the PC that I now call "mission control." It does all the grunt work. I am also very put off by the trend of technology companies making multi-functional tools that are ridiculous. I don't want a cell phone- mp3 player- camera- that can also take out my garbage. I don't want a movie making program, 4 music players, and 2 photo editors already installed on my computer when I buy it. Bring me a computer that does 3 things, and does them simply and very well. I want internet, I want it fast and at my fingertips. Bring me a word processor that is easy to use. Give me email with all my contacts. Granted, the One needs a bit of work in all these areas, but it is successful in it's simplicity, speed, and portability.

It also has the biggest keyboard without sacrificing size/weight of the entire machine. HP Mini-Note's is bigger, but it is also heavier. I use the One to take notes in class, write papers, send emails, ect. so it was imperative that I didn't have to relearn how to touch-type. I still make the occasional error, but I did that before the One came along. I am sure that I could not have the keyboard any smaller, which the EEE's is much smaller.

I have since purchased a One for my mother, who adores it. You never see her without it! Windows always confused her and she never got the hang of virus scanning... so the Linux One is perfection in her eyes. She is able to take it all over the house and out on the porch. She is easily able to keep up with email through the Acer Owl email without having to navigate through the interwebs, which also confused her at times.

I was also able to easily take this little guy with me when I evacuated for hurricane Gustav. Leaving in an hour? No problem! I just grabbed it up, jammed it in my purse, and I was able to concentrate on more important things.

I have never loved a machine... but I if Acer ever fixes the bugs in this One, I may never marry!

jolly, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question