Wanted : dead or unwanted keyboard, any language

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by rjm, Oct 9, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

I busted the plastic scissor mechanism on the backspace key this morning while trying to remove the keyboard.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone having an unwanted keyboard they could sell me. Since I just need the little bridge bit under the key itself the type and color of the keyboard isn't important.

An aside: the mechanism is a lot more fragile than other scissor-style keyboards have played with. The main problem is the eyelets the part threads into are stamped aluminum not plastic, with sharp edges that can easily sheer off the plastic tabs that are supposed to tuck into the slot. Being metal they also easily bend out of shape. Not fun at all.

Another aside: the service manual instructions are laughable, telling you to release the three black clasps and then to pull out the keyboard with both hands. I released the clasps but the keyboard stated put, and as you know there is positively no way to get a hold of the thing when its in place even with the clasps released.

Bleh.

rjm, Oct 9, 2008
  2. rjm

SbM

When the three black clasps at the top are released, there are still two smaller clasps on both side of the keyboard. It can help to release them as well. When you have all 5 clasps released, you can pull the keyboard out without damaging anything.

SbM, Oct 9, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

Easier said than done, since there may still be some resistance and there's nothing to grab on to go get any leverage in pulling it out. I was wondering if pushing down on the bottom section of the keyboard could help to pop the top section out.. couldn't find it.

rjm, Oct 10, 2008
  4. rjm

SbM

I've always grabbed it from one of the key without any problem, after having released the 5 latches.

SbM, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question