Wacom graphics tablet (Cintiq 12wx)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kgingeri, Nov 6, 2008.

1. kgingeri

kgingeri

Hey All,

I have a Cintiq 12wx - (monitor + USB digitizer) and would love to get it working. :D

I have been able to get the monitor working great with only mods to to the xorg.conf file (see below) and reboots. This is for extending the desktop so that the AA1 monitor stays the same but you get a big desktop on the Cintiq. I had to add a complete section for Monitor1 (most of the modes are likely bogus - 1280x800 is the native resolution I want), I uncommented the lines that where commented in the Monitor0 and Videocard0 and changed the "Below" to "Above", added two other modes and changed 'Virtual' settings. All works well with compiz-fusion and if the monitor is not connected on boot etc.

here's the stuff in /etc/X11/xorg.conf I have so far:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier  "Monitor0"
            Modeline    "1024x600"  50.40  1024 1048 1184 1344  600 600 619 625  
            Option  "Above" "Monitor1"
    EndSection

# ...Monitor1 added the Cintiq 12wx
    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier  "Monitor1"
            Modeline    "1280x800"  60.00  1280 1024 1184 1344  800 768 619 625  
    EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "intel"
    # ...uncommented next 2 lines
            Option      "monitor-LVDS" "Monitor0"
            Option      "monitor-VGA" "Monitor1"
            Option      "Clone" "false"
            Option  "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,VGA"
            BusID   "PCI:0:2:0"
    # ...uncommented "Screen 0"
            Screen  0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Videocard0"
            Monitor     "Monitor0"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
    # ...added "1280x800"  the one I need - but also the "1024x768" in next line
                    Modes    "1280x800" "1024x768" "1024x600" "800x600" "640x480"
    # ...changed following settings from "Virtual 1024 600"
                    Virtual 1280 1600
            EndSubSection
    EndSection

Makes a lovely monitor - but expensive without the digitizer working! :roll:

It seems it would take compiling current drivers from linuxwacom.sourceforge.net BUT there are libraries missing and the prebuilt drivers will not install with insmod as it reports they are not the right format. :v(

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated!!

kgingeri

UPDATE:
    - if you use "Below" instead of "Above" for positioning displays, you won't have as much 'blind' area - it appears that your AA1 display is actually made as big as the external display (1280x800) so there is 'hidden' or 'blind' area where you can loose things - like the Settings link that normally shows up. (I'll attach a diagram that should help) [attachment=0:1eu4l9f5]ExternDisplay.jpg[/attachment:1eu4l9f5]
    - also I have had issues loosing the shutdown window, if that happens you can always do "sudo sync && sync && reboot" in a terninal

kgingeri, Nov 6, 2008
  2. kgingeri

Japser

Japser, Nov 6, 2008
  3. kgingeri

kgingeri

@Jasper - thanks, but all I see here is posting about sound card drivers - no reference for wacom :?
    I'll download what is provided and to see if that is what you meant...

Thx again
    kgingeri

UPDATE: Indeed - there are almost all, if not all, the kernel modules in the Rapid Share download :p
    I will give it a try and update with the results.

kgingeri, Nov 6, 2008
  4. kgingeri

kgingeri

Ok no luck - bricked my X-Windows system and there is no Ctrl+Alt+F1 for a console screen in this 'crippled' version of Linpus (maybe there is a way to come up in safe mode - not sure). :( To be fair to Acer, I don't imagine they ever intended for us 'hackers' to mess so much with their little machines to make them real computers - they really were meant to be a 'netbook' - I assume anyway.

So the good news is... I do have a Wacom Cintiq 12WX tablet working on my AA1 BUT only after loading Xubuntu and applying a 'boat load' of mods! Some things are not working right yet but one bonus was my 3G Modem now works :lol: Also I can now finally download and compile any thing I need - install any package I pretty much want etc... oh Firefox 3 came with it, as did everything needed to just make my internally mod'd bluetooth dongle (thx Tnkgirl) work (that was a real pain in Acer-limp-a-long- ah, I mean, Linpus) - oh yeah and Ctrl+Alt+F1 works, in case I brick X again! :roll:

It did take me a bit to figure out that I needed to re-use the xorg.conf settings above to get the AA!'s display to work in native mode - was pretty ugly until then. ;) Sound isn't working right yet (and may not for a while) but that's about it, most everything else is.

Anyway, I caved Xubuntu! But it was worth it.
    Gotta go do a complete backup and play with my new toy (I am typing this with it displaying on my Cintiq, w/pen working :D )
    enough of this sys-gen stuff! :mrgreen:

kgingeri, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question