W7 running slow on D150... any way to dumb it down?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by alpha752, Jun 26, 2009.

1. alpha752

alpha752

Ive got a D150, the only mod is 2gb RAM. I installed the W7 Beta and it ran like a dream. I upgraded to the RC, and 7 runs like crap now. Its slow to boot, slow to load programs, slow to do everything. My sys monitor shows plenty of available RAM, its the processor that gets maxed out. Didnt have these same problems with the Beta. I was trying to reinstall XP, but having trouble (see my other thread in the XP section). Since I cant do that, is there a way to dumb down 7 to run better? Im computer literate, but not into programming or stuff like that.

Anyone else with a slow 7 RC? What did you do to fix it? I dont really want to go back to XP, but I cant handle the lag the way it is.

alpha752, Jun 26, 2009
  2. alpha752

Tamrac

Did you do a clean install of RC1 or upgrade? Upgrading will do this... these are beta builds, they are meant to be installed on a clean system. Re-install completely and see your problems disappear. ;)

Tamrac, Jun 27, 2009
  3. alpha752

alpha752

It was a clean install. I dont think that you could upgrade from Beta to RC... at least thats what it said on the download site. The drive was reformatted during the install so it is a fresh copy.

Is there something like nlite that I can use to remove components of 7, which may increase performance?

alpha752, Jun 28, 2009
  4. alpha752

MajesticFlame

Have you checked to see if your hard drive mode got changed to PIO? I don't know if this problem exists with Windows 7 but it happened to my brothers with XP. I found the solution to his problem on this site http://blog.ryankopf.com/2009/02/acer-a ... -more.html

Just thought you might want to check that as your problem sounds similar. After we did the fix on my brothers comp everything was speedy again.

MajesticFlame, Jun 28, 2009
  5. alpha752

marcw

remove the aero and most graphic pretty items, like slide drop downs and menus.

in control panel->system properties->performance options->visual effects.

Turn off most.

marcw, Jun 29, 2009
Ask a Question