voodoo kernel wont boot

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by cv65user, Dec 23, 2008.

1. cv65user

cv65user

voodoo kernel wont boot . i isnstllaed voodoo kernel with osx86 tools, backed up kernel and upon restart it froze on a "pleaes hold down button to restart " so i had to do a re install osx as i didnt know how to re instate the backed up kernel;

typing uaneme -a shows i am using TOH 9.2.0 , reason why i want to change it to enable sleep kernel/voodoo kernel. so is there something i did wrong during install

cv65user, Dec 23, 2008
  2. cv65user

dfiore

need more info. take a picture of the kernel panic

also did you try to boot with -v and -f

dfiore, Dec 23, 2008
  3. cv65user

cv65user

i reintsalld mac osx , whats kernel panic ? becuase on mine it just booted to that normal please hold down on off button message like this http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcas ... c-1p0f.png not kernel panic in root

i tried press f8 and booting with vanilla switch but that didnt help , still froze on error message . i wasnt aware of -v -f switch but i can re try installing voodoo kernel but is there a wayt for me to back track back to my backed up kernel (toh 920) if it messes up again ? rather then for me to re insatll osx

thanks

cv65user, Dec 23, 2008
  4. cv65user

dfiore

it depends on where your kernel was backed up to, but its trivial to swap kernels in and out.

there is tons of good info on how on insanelymac.com and even here.

dave

dfiore, Dec 23, 2008
  5. cv65user

cv65user

backed up the toh kernel was backed up to just the same parition as where osx was instaleld ,however i am dual boot with xp

so what i am thinking is i can boot in to xp , run mac 7 to mount the hsf + partition and then browse the hsf + partition from windows and delete the kernel kext s ?

cv65user, Dec 23, 2008
  6. cv65user

dfiore

i have no idea what your trying to say.

dfiore, Dec 23, 2008
  7. cv65user

cv65user

soory i have chkeced my grmamer

cv65user, Dec 23, 2008
  8. cv65user

dfiore

the kernel isnt a kext file. when changing a kernel there are usually 2 things involved.

1. the kernel itself, stored in the root of the hd, /mach_kernel or /mach_kernel.voodoo
    2. the system kext, sotred in /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext

you will need to restore the old kernel and the corresponding system kext for proper operation.

dave

dfiore, Dec 23, 2008
  9. cv65user

Pasta747

dfiore, I see that you are running the voodoo kernel. I installed it and my system is very unstable and I get a kernel panic almost everytime I am using my computer. What install procedure did you do for it? Did you need to do any additional changes to get your system to be more stable?

Pasta747, Dec 23, 2008
  10. cv65user

cv65user

ok i re installed it manually with the pkg file rather then through osx68tools and if i type uname -a it shows i am running 950 voodoo kernel but its no different i tihnk.

fan is still on full blast , when i check cool dump shoiws that cpu is still running at 1600 mhz . so itried installing additioonal speed step through its on pkg and nothing happens , but as soon as i install enhanced speed step kext with osx68tools ( as it has no pkg ) it gives kernel panic with text over lapping the desktop

so i had to re install mmac osx yet again , can any one here with mac speed step working on a150L repl y? !?!

cv65user, Dec 24, 2008
  11. cv65user

dfiore

pasta, i dont run the speedstep kexts, i find them to be useless on the aspire. the fan will run at full speed regardless as osx has no way to throttle it down, and if the machine is on, im using it, thus the cpu wont be throttled down.

cv65, again you need to be more clear in your responses and include the text of the kernel panics, without doing so, no one will be able to properly help you.

dave

dfiore, Dec 24, 2008
  12. cv65user

cv65user

ok i will run through babel fish for grammerr

ok i re installed leapord 10.5.2 and manually installed the voodoo pkg file rather then through osx68tools and if i type "uname -a" in osx terminal after reboot it shows i am running 950 voodoo kernel but its no different i tihnk as i can hear fan still in full whack.

when i check "cool book " ref http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/morei ... creenshots shoiws that cpu is still running at 1600 mhz .

so i tried installing aditioonal speed step (from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/ website ) through its own pkg and nothing happens , but as soon as i install enhanced speed step kext with osx68tools ( as it has no pkg ) it gives kernel panic with text over lapping the desktop -

i do not have the kernel pacnic as i had to re install kalyway leapord 10.5.2 osx yet again , can any one here with mac speed step working on a150L repl y? !?!

cv65user, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question