Voodoo kernel slowing down shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Neosword, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Neosword

Neosword

Hi, I installed OS X according to diablonet's guide. Everything worked fine. Then I installed IPHONE SDK and Voodoo Kernel. The shutdown time went from 5 seconds to 10 seconds. Any ideas if Voodoo may be causing this?

Neosword, Feb 1, 2009
  2. Neosword

robo

Did you install the shutdown crash fix? Because AFAIK that involves playing an 8 second (silent) sound file, which would slow down shutdown a bit.

robo, Feb 2, 2009
  3. Neosword

Neosword

OMG, you're Right! That's gotta be the issue. Can I just fix it by replacing the sound with a shorter one? If I can, how short is safe? Maybe I can time how long it normally takes and then select a sound of that length. Thanks for pointing it out.

Neosword, Feb 2, 2009
  4. Neosword

SbM

You might be lucky and have it work with a shorter "sound". But I tried 5 seconds for instance, and it wasn't long enough to "wake up" the audio circuitry and prevent crashes on my machine. So I settled for 8 seconds to be on the safe side. I haven't had a single crash with this 8 second sound.

Mind you, you can spend those 8 seconds closing the lid and packing your stuff ;)

SbM, Feb 3, 2009
  5. Neosword

robo

Maybe you could create a 10 second 'count up' audio file and use it a few times... you'd get an idea how many seconds it took for the audio circuitry to wake up?

That is, if you really wanted to shave a couple seconds off shutdown...

robo, Feb 3, 2009
  6. Neosword

Neosword

Thanks for the help guys. I tried reducing the sound to 3 and 5 seconds but It didn't worked. I ended up leaving the 8 second default sound. It's way better to wait acouple of extra seconds than having the netbook crashing on you.

Neosword, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question