Voodoo Kernel back to Normal one?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rbo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rbo

rbo

Hello

I have been having a few crashes with the voodoo k

can i go back to the stock one?
    thanks!

rbo, Dec 21, 2008
  2. rbo

dfiore

of course. depending on how you installed / use the kernel will be how you revert. Remember to make sure the system.kext, seatbelt.kext and kernel version match.

dave

dfiore, Dec 22, 2008
  3. rbo

Dan1jel

and if i installed it like the tutorial says? (via terminal)
    how do i do it then?

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  4. rbo

Kopsis

If you didn't back up your 10.5.6 System.kext and Seatbelt.kext, you should track down copies (I've seen download links posted in some of these topics) and put them on your AAO before you start this process. I don't know exactly what will happen if you try to use the vanilla 9.6 kernel with the 10.5.5 versions of those kexts, but I suspect it will bad.

• Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and enter the following command (you must type this command exactly as shown including quotes and slashes -- I suggest selecting the text below and using ALT+C to copy it and then switch to Terminal and press ALT+V to paste it in):
      Code:
      sudo sed -i -e "s/voodoo/original/" /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
      [/*:m:3uadgntl]
    • Enter your password when requested.[/*:m:3uadgntl]
    • Use OSX86Tools or KextHelper to restore the 10.5.6 versions of System.kext and Seatbelt.kext[/*:m:3uadgntl]
    • Reboot[/*:m:3uadgntl]

Edit: changed the command above to use the actual vanilla kernel backup and not the symlink (which may or may not be present or correct).

Kopsis, Jan 28, 2009
  5. rbo

Dan1jel

well i made a topic for the Seatbelt.kext and system.kext so i hope ppl can post it there... becose i cant find them :(

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10509

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  6. rbo

Dan1jel

yea well this solusion went well... NOT... it fu*ked up my AAO :(

IMAGE -> http://tinyurl.com/b2fcsx

Dan1jel, Jan 29, 2009
  7. rbo

Kopsis

Sorry to hear that. Don't panic, your system probably isn't as broken as it looks. Try this: at that boot prompt type "mach_kernel.original" (without the quotes) and hit enter. If it boots that way, then I can tell you how to fix it permanently.

Kopsis, Jan 30, 2009
  8. rbo

Dan1jel

nope that wont work.... offcourse it wont work...

Dan1jel, Jan 30, 2009
  9. rbo

Kopsis

I'd like to help you out here, but to do that I'm going to need you to be a lot more descriptive. What exactly happened when you tried it? Did you try a couple times? Did it do the same thing?

You can also try typing "mach_kernel.voodoo" at the boot prompt. If that doesn't work there are still more things you can try, but I can't suggest one until I know more.

Kopsis, Jan 30, 2009
  10. rbo

Dan1jel

this is what happen when i typed that in.. IMAGE -> http://tinyurl.com/ddmxso

Dan1jel, Jan 31, 2009
  11. rbo

Kopsis

Ok, that's good information. But I also need to know the details of what happened when you tried "mach_kernel.original"

This is what's called "black box debugging". I need to know what state the OS X files on your machine are in. But since you can't look at them, I have to try to deduce that. It's kind of like a mystery where the detective looks at clues and figures out an answer that explains them all. The more "clues", the faster we can get to an explanation (and solution).

Kopsis, Jan 31, 2009
  12. rbo

rmancl

I am getting the same error with ACPI. I get the error using either of the commands suggested above. I got this error after installing system kext and seatbelt kext from 10.5.5 onto my system using kext helper.

History: Had 10.5.6 running with no real issues :D but wanted hyper threading so decided to install voodoo kernel.
    I installed using instructions in the "Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)" thread
    I first loaded back in the 10.5.6 system and seatbelt kexts as instructed but the could not open dmg files without a panic :(
    I red in the forum that i needed the kexts from 10.5.5 for voodoo to work properly so thats what i did :oops:
    and voila....now i get a panic at bootup :eek:

rmancl, Feb 4, 2009
  13. rbo

red97vette

Im getting the exact same thing. I tired installing voodoo and I couldnt get terminal commands to work. My USB ports dont work either, so i tired installing the 10.5.5 seatbelt and system kexts and restarting. Now i cant boot into OSX. Its asking me to select a volume, and pressing enter is not letting me boot when ive selected the (only) volume. I tired doing the "mach_kernel.original" and i got sort of the same screen as the guy posted a screen shot of, only mine also had a big box saying I needed to restart. Help!

red97vette, Feb 4, 2009
  14. rbo

Kopsis

I wonder if some of these problems are related to the boot cache not getting "flushed" when people are juggling System.kext and Seatbelt.kext? If you know enough Terminal commands to navigate around the system and change files, then you might try the following:

Boot from your install DVD and select "Terminal" from the "Utilities" menu you get as soon as the installer starts (the same menu you use to get to "Disk Utility" prior to installation). Once you're in Terminal, navigate to the "/System/Library" directory on your HD and look for the file "Extensions.mkext" (I don't know exactly where the installer mounts your HD ... probably somewhere under "/Volumes"). Rename it to something else (Extensions.mkext.backup), then exit Terminal, cancel the install, and reboot.

I don't actually have my install DVD (or drive) with me so I can't test this, but if your machine won't boot there's not much to lose. If it doesn't work, go back in the same way and check for "Extensions.mkext". If it didn't get rebuilt, restore your backed up copy and you're right back to where you started.

Kopsis, Feb 4, 2009
  15. rbo

red97vette

im thinking figuring this out will take longer than a fresh reinstall. i just did it and everything is working fine now. i guess 2nd time is the charm!

red97vette, Feb 5, 2009
  16. rbo

rmancl

I agree, i just didn't want to have to reload iLife 09 and iWork 09 again

I reinstalled and all is working perfectly

rmancl, Feb 7, 2009
  17. rbo

barbapopa

Hey, I seem to have confused the hell out of myself here.

I installed the voodoo kernel back when I was using 10.5.5, and since then I've upgraded to 10.5.6 and am still using the voodoo kernel, but would like to see how things work with the vanilla one, especially since shutdown doesn't work properly, etc.

I'd like to have proper system.kext and seatbelt.kext, since I currently have the 9.6.0 or voodoo versions...

What exactly do I have to go about doing to get the vanilla kernel working again? I can't seem to even find the original kernel I renamed when installing originally, which is confusing the hell out of me.

barbapopa, Feb 21, 2009
  18. rbo

cracky

lol i just pulled the same business.... iget the same error message.

i noticed in the two install directions.
    1 person says nothing about using the kext helper to install the seatbelt and system kext, but the other install directions says to do this.

so are you supposed to?

anyways, i may play around to try and fix this . nothing to lose except time lol , there isnt anything on the system yet(*i just installed it a couple hours ago)
    if i cant get it, time for a fresh install.

cracky, Feb 25, 2009
  19. rbo

cracky

ok, so I tried what was suggested above(navigating through terminal to rename the file.)
    using mv command it wouldnt let me rename the file. said it was read only...

i stopped there and just re installed. lol i had nothing on the system so it didnt really matter.

thanks for the help...and at least someone tried what was suggested above(good to know for future users).

so right now, theres no fix for that issue...well, not documented on this site.

cracky, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question