VNC Server - HELP!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rakh1, Oct 25, 2008.

1. rakh1

rakh1

Hi,

Have just installed the VNC package form the add/remove software. If I start vnc from the terminal using vncserver it creates a session :1.

I then use my XP machine to vnc to teh ipaddress:1 and it connects. However, the session I connect to is not the session being used on the AA1's desktop.

Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks, Rich

rakh1, Oct 25, 2008
  2. rakh1

scottro

It can be confusing at first. It's a bit different than Windows or Mac.

Linux has its own display on :0. If you type at a terminal

echo $DISPLAY
    You'll see something like

:0.0

So, for better or worse, on Linux, the display will actually be on a different session.
    I've never tried sitting at a computer and seeing if one can start the display on :1. The only way I've shared sessions in Linux (and the only way I've needed to for situations that arose) was when both myself and someone else were remotely accessing the computer--if we both connect on display :1 we can see what the other is doing. (Always good to be in communication by telephne during such sessions, as otherwise, it can get complicated.) :)

scottro, Oct 25, 2008
  3. rakh1

RockDoctor

startx -- :1 or am I missing something? Haven't used vnc in a couple of years.

RockDoctor, Oct 25, 2008
  4. rakh1

scottro

That will probably work. :) Hold on....

(Or on Fedora systems, editing /etc/sysconfig/vncserver to start it on 0, if it's booting into runlevel 3), but anyway, let's see.
    Nope, doesn't seem to work. If I start vncserver before starting X, then try startx -- :1 I get an error that an X server is already running on that display. If I startx on :1 first, then, (as you can probably guess) it starts it on :2.

It was a good thought though, when I read it, I thought, Shucks, I can't believe I overlooked that.

scottro, Oct 25, 2008
  5. rakh1

rakh1

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas? I can connect perfectly to anything other than :0 - which is the only thing I want to use it for - so I can *help* my grandmother remotely when she has problems with it. I am open to other software if it will do what I want and be simple to use - but VNC is preferred as I have the clients installed at home and work on XP/Vista.

TIA - Rich

rakh1, Oct 27, 2008
  6. rakh1

rbil

rbil, Oct 27, 2008
  7. rakh1

rakh1

x0vncserver sounds good - can anyone give me an idea of how to doanload and install? Thanks!

rakh1, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question