VisualBoy Advance - why is XP so much faster than 9.04

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lotus49, Aug 24, 2009.

1. lotus49

lotus49

This is a duplicate post but the games section seems pretty quiet so I am trying my luck here as well.

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my AAO (ZG5) and I have been trying out VisualBoy Advance. I also have XP installed on an external USB disk.

For some reason VBA runs very well on XP but is nowhere near as fast on Ubuntu. Under Ubuntu, the graphics and sound are choppy and there are frequent clicks mixed into the sound track. Under XP it runs more or less perfectly.

I have checked through the settings and even when they are as similar as I can make them (not all the options seem to be present in both versions), it runs far better under XP.

Since my normal OS is Ubuntu and since I don't want to keep having to boot from a USB HDD each time I play with VBA I would like to find out why Ubuntu runs VBA so poorly. Does anyone know why this might be and what I might do about it? Is XP just better at this sort of thing (it never has been for anything else I have tried so this would be a first ;) )?

lotus49, Aug 24, 2009
  2. lotus49

libssd

The Ubunu people recognize that graphics performance is an area needing improvement, which is one of the goals of the next release, Karmic Kola:

libssd, Aug 26, 2009
  3. lotus49

lotus49

Thanks for your reply.

I wondered if this was a significant factor and with No$GBA, which emulates both the GBA and the Nintendo DS, I suspect it is.

However, I discovered that the version of VBA that I downloaded from the VBA web site runs much faster so the main problem appears to be either related to the version (1.8 in Jaunty which doesn't actually seem to exist on the Visual Boy Advance web site where the latest is 1.7.2) or the way it was compiled.

Version 1.7.1, which is the latest on the VBA web site runs very well. It doesn't have the menu bar, so everything needs to be configured in the config file, but it runs very well.

lotus49, Aug 27, 2009
  4. lotus49

illafam

cool.. i tried scorched 3d for linux and it was unplayable.. maybe this will help

illafam, Sep 27, 2009
Ask a Question