Vista and Qualcomm 9212

Discussion in 'Windows' started by delovelady, May 8, 2009.

1. delovelady

delovelady

I'm so glad to have found the aspireoneuser.com forum. Great stuff here! But I have an issue for which I have not yet found an answer.

I have installed Vista Ultimate onto an external drive (using VMware to do the initial load), and I had all devices working. (2.7 User Experience, and I've quite happy.) Then I installed SP2, and the Qualcomm 9212 Modem disappeared (acutally says "(removed)" on the properties for the dial-up networking object I'd created).

Not to be disuaded, I ran the Qualcomm removal/installation process. When I remove the software (actually, before that program even ends) Windows will prompt that it's found new hardware, and offers to search for the driver. Of course it eventually comes back and asks me to insert the CD. Then I "mount" the SD card where I've stored the software, and the process repeats. Driver installs, everyone's happy, but the 9212 modem simply will not return to the system, and does not appear in Device Manager at all. I've tried various combinations of Remove Software / Reboot / Install Software / Reboot, et cetera, all to no avail.

I've searched everywhere I can think of for help on this, and have found only Driver Detective and vagueries. I even went the Driver Detective route - paid them my hard-earned money and it claims I have the latest driver for the 9212. Sweet... then why won't it work.. and why isn't it listed in Device Manager if Driver Detective sees it?

Do any of you folks know of some trick you'd be willing to share in order to get that 9212 working? Or maybe I'm missing something important....

Thanks,
    Dennis

delovelady, May 8, 2009
  2. delovelady

jerryt

Built in 3G card, you have to move the WiFi switch to the left to enable the 3G card.

jerryt, May 8, 2009
  3. delovelady

delovelady

Thanks, jerryt, you did make me look ( :D ) but in fact the light was on; the device was activated. As evidence (beyond the obvious light), rebooting to WinXP I'm able to get online without fiddling with the switch. Rebooting to Vista, no go.

I did notice when going through this this time, by the way, that the device installed as a 9211 rather than a 9212. That may be key to understanding (but not by me, yet).

Anything else?

Dennis

delovelady, May 8, 2009
Ask a Question