Virtual Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dnalencastre, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dnalencastre

dnalencastre

I've run across some applications which need at least 1024x768
    resolution, otherwise some screens will have buttons/text areas
    hidden.

I've tried changing the "virtual" entry on the display subsection
    of xorg.conf, without success.

Has anyone been able to configure a virtual screen resolution for
    either the default linpus or ubuntu/xubuntu 8.04?

Not that I do not want to force the physical display to show an
    higher resolution.
    I want to have a virtual screen resolution of (at least 1024x768),
    which i can pan arround on the 1024x600 display.
    This is rather common on X windows, but I haven't been able to get
    it to work on xubuntu, and haven't tried on linpus as xorg.conf
    keeps being overwritten on boot.

Thanks,
    Duarte

dnalencastre, Jul 21, 2008
  2. dnalencastre

hmraao

hmraao, Aug 16, 2008
  3. dnalencastre

retsaw

I tried setting the virtual entry in the xorg.conf too, after doing some reading I discovered that this depends on the driver, so it may be that the intel driver doesn't support doing this. It has been several years since I last tried doing this, so I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong, if it has to be done differently because of changes in X (since there have been many since the last time I tried this) or whether the driver doesn't support it. I didn't find anything stating whether the intel driver does support this or not, so I'm still not sure, but I do tend to think it is the driver.

retsaw, Aug 17, 2008
  4. dnalencastre

nereid666

I am also trying to obtain Virtual Configuration on X, I am following this thread

http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-List ... 03434.html

that show problems with "Virtual" parameter on Fedora. The post doesn't clarify the solution.

I'll continue investigating it, please post the ways your are following or any advances or interesting information you find.

nereid666, Aug 24, 2008
  5. dnalencastre

dnalencastre

I've tried using configuration meant for other systems, but with no success.
    Might well be the driver, as retsaw wrote.

The video card is able to do 1024x768 on an external monitor, so it is not
    an issue with available video memory.

dnalencastre, Aug 25, 2008
  6. dnalencastre

prikolchik

Did you know that you can move the window even outside screen (up/down) if you press Alt + move it with mouse?
    Also, did you consider changing the theme for windows (so that it will be more "compact") and also try changing "Font DPI" in "User Interfaces" to 96. Or make front/icons smaller...

prikolchik, Aug 25, 2008
  7. dnalencastre

DiSK

Well, it's quite early in the morning here, so, I'm too tired and lazy to have read all of your posts. :p

Anyways, I don't think the screen on the AspireOne can do 1024x768. Reason being that, when I first plugged in my external monitor, it was 1024x600, and stretched to fit the whole screen. You can imagine, it was ugly beyond...ugly. Since I haven't used Linux before I got my AspireOne, I didn't know how to change the screen resolution. At last, I figured out that you open Run Program, type in
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1024x768
    and then the external monitor will display as 1024x768. At least, for mine it does.

Once I did that, the AspireOne no longer displayed the screen. But it was set as mirror screen mode, both screens on. And when I typed
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1024x600
    to go back to the original resolution, the AspireOne's screen went back on, and my external monitor went ugly again.

So, basically, I don't think the AspireOne's screen is capable of displaying 1024x768. External monitors are cheap now. 17" LCDs are about $150, $100 if used.

Good luck!!

DiSK, Aug 25, 2008
  8. dnalencastre

hmraao

Obviously I can't speak for the original poster, but unfortunately, there isn't room in my AAO's pouch for a 17" LCD screen, whether new or second-hand. But I think prikolchik's Alt-Click-Drag tip is great.

hmraao, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question