Virtual Private Network Client

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by TS., Aug 17, 2008.

1. TS.

TS.

I am a serious Linux newbie, but I am trying to learn. I got my AA1 primarily to use at school for taking notes and browsing the internet. The wireless network at my university requires a vpn client to get online. There is one that they have on their website (the Cisco VPN client) that I have tried and failed to make work. I have now, in concert with an online friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about Linux (though not the Linpus Linux Lite distro in particular) tried to make the NetworkManager vpn client work, but I am getting a message about two settings files in the "desktop directories" files that are conflicting.

Can anyone please help me with this? If I can't make the VPN client work, then this computer, much as I love it for almost everything else, becomes a major liability for me, and I will have to return it to the store and get something that will work.

TS., Aug 17, 2008
  2. TS.

emo

Hi..
    this are the steps:
    0.-instal vpnc client:
    sudo yum install vpnc
    1.-Download tun module from here (http://www.twimba.com/blogs/luis/wp-con ... 08/tun.zip)
    2.-unzip and copy to de kernel driver:
    cp tun.ko /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net/
    3.-install de mdule with:
    sudo depmod -a
    (corrected, in the original message i put depmode instead of depmod ;-))))
    and test it with

modprobe tun

That's all....

you must configure your_conection.conf
    sudo vim /etc/vpnc/<name_of_ur_conection>.conf

IPSec gateway <gateway>
    IPSec ID <group>
    IPSec secret <group_password>
    Xauth username <username>
    domain <domain_name>

and start vpnc with
    sudo vpnc <your conection .conf file>

regards
    happy user with original xfce4 instead original linpus desktop

;-)

you can watch my video on youtube launching the vpnc client an the conecting to a vnc server (windows 2003)
    the video was made with my acer aspire one with gtk-recordmydesktop and then conveterted to *.DV with mencoder, edited with avidemux ;.-)

emo, Aug 18, 2008
  3. TS.

TS.

Thanks. So far, I have done steps 0-3, but when I have changed directories to be in the /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/driver/net/ and put sudo depmode -a, I get the message:
    Code:
    sudo: depmode: command not found
    What do I need to do?

TS., Aug 18, 2008
  4. TS.

veetrik

I believe the command you should be using is: sudo depmod -a

PS: Don't forget to copy tun.ko to the /lib/modles/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net directory as stated in emo's directions.

Good Luck :)

veetrik, Aug 19, 2008
  5. TS.

TS.

Thanks very much. I'll give that another try.

ETA: Okay, no error message that time. When I put in sudo modprobe tun, there is no response, it just gives me a new command prompt. Is that what should happen?

TS., Aug 19, 2008
  6. TS.

atarione

yup.. there is no confirmation after modprobe tun just a command line.

atarione, Aug 19, 2008
  7. TS.

TS.

Okay, thanks for the help everyone! Now I just have to configure my connection, but I might just take my AA1 into the tech office at my university and ask them to help me with that.

TS., Aug 19, 2008
  8. TS.

openschnitzel

Thanks emo,
    This forum is becoming an awesome source for me. You entered exactly the information I needed just a few days before I would need it. How did you know? Well, it's also written in the how-tos of this forum.
    ;-)

Nevertheless I think most people would need vpnc with ssl compiled in. I will try to combine this with a tutorial for the ssl-support in a new thread in the how-to section.

openschnitzel, Aug 22, 2008
  9. TS.

TS.

Well, it turns out in the end the whole thing was for nought. Turns out the VPN at my school is non-SSL, and therefore none of the UMPCs are supported. The good news is that they are aiming to get rid of the VPN by Christmas.

TS., Aug 23, 2008
Ask a Question