Virtual CD/DVD emulator?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by victor, Aug 27, 2008.

1. victor

victor

Does anyone have Virtual CD/DVD emulator? for Linux AA1 like damon-tool or alcohol120?

victor, Aug 27, 2008
  2. victor

Grim Squeaker

You don't need one - linux natively supports the mounting of .iso images.

Just type sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/iso in a terminal.
    (where /mnt/iso is where you wish the contents of the cd to be mounted and file.iso is the name of the .iso file)

If you really need something that convinces linux there is a physical cddrive present you could take a look at http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/

Grim Squeaker, Aug 27, 2008
  3. victor

boggybrn

I've been trying to get cdemu working... but no luck so far.

The trouble that I'm having is that it uses a kernel module 'vhba' to provide a device that looks like a SCSI disk, and as yet I have been unable to obtain or build this for the 2.6.23.9lw kernel used on the AA1.

Has anyone got this running yet?

My plan is to have another go at building it this evening. Should I succeed then I'll post to say how.

boggybrn, Aug 28, 2008
  4. victor

boggybrn

I managed to get it working, by installing the kernel source for 2.6.23.9, copying the kernel .config file from /boot, starting the process top build the kernel ( I didn't wait for it to complete...). Then running 'make' in the /usr/src/vhba1.0.0-2.fc8 directory that the vhba installer created.

I don't seem to be able to attach the vhba.ko file to this post, I just get an error saying that the extension isn't allowed (even if I change or remove the extension). If you want a copy then post here to say how I can upload it.

If you put this file in /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/scsi as vhba.ko then do 'depmod -a' followed by 'modprobe vhba' then it should load.

boggybrn, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question