Video editing

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by asaaaron, Feb 12, 2014.

1. asaaaron

asaaaron

What would be the best laptop for video editing? I'm a filmmaker and I'm looking for a good laptop to edit video. It has to be able to handle a lot of stress. Editing is very CPU intensive. I'd want a computer that can handle a good amount of 4K footage. What do you recommend?

asaaaron, Feb 12, 2014
  2. asaaaron

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I would NOT recommend a Laptop for streaming video...

A Desktop unit would be good, if you fit sufficient Drive space and a decent amount of RAM and a 3Gb or higher CPU...

Never believe the minimal recommendations of Video editing programs... once they sell you the program they don't care how many days it takes to render the film...

Dependent upon film 'size' you'll probably need a couple of Terabytes at least... because you not only need space to 'store' the film being edited, but space to store the finished product...

OK you'll probably delete the original later... but it is WHILE editing, that most people run out of space...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 12, 2014
  3. asaaaron

asaaaron

Thank you for your advice! I've been looking into a desktop unit as well. I think now I will switch my search to that. I'm sure I can find a nice one. Do you have any more suggestions?

asaaaron, Feb 14, 2014
  4. asaaaron

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Assuming you are in the UK... here is a website I use for my computer components - and , by chance they are advertising Gaming Systems today...

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Next+Day+Gaming+PCs

For s similar price to an upper level (NOT Top level) Laptop - you can have a Gaming rig, less monitor and Keyboard...

Hope this is helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 15, 2014
  5. asaaaron

morguk

I agree with Brian, a desktop is much more suited for video editing. If you do have to go for a laptop make sure it's got an i7 and atleast 8GB of RAM. Personally I would want a desktop with 16GB RAM and a massive storage drive.

morguk, Feb 20, 2014
  6. asaaaron

Sidewinderx3

Definitely a desktop, though recently there's been an influx of editors-on-the-go, usually they edit with MacBook Pros Retina, but unless you want to live with MacOS I wouldn't recommend it. Another great site for picking out PC components is Logical Increments.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Sidewinderx3, Feb 25, 2014
Ask a Question