VIDEO CHAT WORKING!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lxlMurdoclxl, Dec 11, 2008.

1. lxlMurdoclxl

lxlMurdoclxl

The way i got it to work.

The messenger program that comes with Linux (MSN Login) worked without a hitch, but this wasnt very helpful because A.) MSN Sucks and B.) all my friends and family use chat clients suck as iChat (mac) or Aim.

The AIM portion of the messenger suite that comes with the AAO Linpus version simply does not offer support for video chat yet.

Here's what i did:
    I used the popular web chating website "www.tokbox.com" as suggested by another forum thread.
    At first my web cam didnt work, it would show my web cam as present and usable, but nothing would show up, SO...

I went to adobes website and downloaded the new adobe flash player 10 RPM package for fedora
    then i did
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpm
    which installed the new package,
    then i did
    Code:
    sudo yum update flash-plugin 
    to make sure i had the right version... (there were no updates)

Then i restarted Linpus.
    Next i initialized the web cam from the home screen to make sure it was turned on (this is the key, it seems tokbox does not know how to initialized the integrated web cam)

Then i logged into tokbox, connected with a video call to my girlfriends iChat(er), RETURNED to the home screen, CLOSED the Linpus supplied webcam tools, WENT BACK TO TOKBOX,hit the "reset camera" button in the video call window and BOOM! Its working for me.

I Hope this helps anyone else who was just trying to figure out a way to video chat with various clients

PS. i was logged into my AIM account through tokbox.

Thanks!

lxlMurdoclxl, Dec 11, 2008
  2. lxlMurdoclxl

sean808080

does this work reliably for you? it seems to work only once for me then it craps the bed again. if i reload the page then the camera will work. kinda annoying...oh well.
    thanks for posting

sean808080, Feb 20, 2009
  3. lxlMurdoclxl

sylviag

Hiya,
    I am in the process of trying this one out. However, when i go to Adobe's website to install Flash Player I am asked to choose between several versions: yum, .tar.gz, .rpm and .deb. A bit confused.
    I have a - brand new and rather lovely looking AcerOne (!) - AA1 A150L / Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz / 1GB / 120GB / 8.9" / Linux.

Then, what do you mean by
    is code all part of the command line ? I am a newbie to Linux....

Thank you

sylviag, Apr 5, 2009
Ask a Question