Very stuck screws

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mallard, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mallard

mallard

Hi,
    I have been attempting to open up my AA1 to upgrade the RAM, but have found that the screws in the battery compartment are extremely stiff, to the point where I have so far been unable to remove them.

At this point the screw heads are beginning to be damaged by the effort and I really don't want to strip them completely. I have tried a few different screwdrivers, but the screwdrivers that get the best "lock" into the screw are of the thin, "Jeweller's" type which I can't get enough leverage on to turn.

Does anybody have any useful tips or advice for removing these stubborn screws?

mallard, Aug 26, 2008
  2. mallard

procalli

use a small plier to get extra grip.

procalli, Aug 27, 2008
  3. mallard

kareshi

I have the exact problem and damaged the screw.. now i can't unscrew it.. i am really screwed.. :(

kareshi, Aug 27, 2008
  4. mallard

goofball

I used one of the bits from the Canadian Tire Mastercraft screwdriver (slot-bit loading) and it was fine.
    I did one last night with a precision kit and had to use the biggest one there, and needed quite a bit of force to not strip it.

goofball, Aug 27, 2008
  5. mallard

Kenzyh

You should always use a Philips-head screwdriver with a thick handle. Never use those jeweler-type of screwdrivers, you can't ever use enough force with those without killing the caps from the screws. A good screwdriver will cost around 10 dollars, and you can have one from any hardware strores, it really helps the disassembly of laptops. And the screws in the AA1 aren't even stiff, the caps are just so small that the screwdriver must fit on them perfectly. I found pressing the other side of the netbook with my while pressing the screw with the screwdriver at the same time best method to unscrew them.

Kenzyh, Aug 28, 2008
  6. mallard

rory

I use my dad's old electricians screwdrivers. Not a hitch at all, but maybe mine started less tight or something.

rory, Aug 28, 2008
  7. mallard

lotus49

Jeweller's screwdrivers will normally fit best but for tight screws use pliers on the shaft. I have a set with proper grips and I recommend these rather than the purely metal sort. It is important not to use a screwdriver that is too big as it is almost certain to slip and damage the head.

I know it's too late now, but if the screwdriver slips even once, you really need to think about how you will avoid doing this again in case you damage the screw so much you cannot unscrew it at all.ar

If you do damage the head, the only solution (on a laptop at least) is to drill out the screw and then use pliers to remove the shaft of the screw once the chassis has been removed. On something less fragile you can use an old chisel to cut a new slot into the screw.

lotus49, Aug 28, 2008
  8. mallard

fateastray

same here. Last remainin screw on the MoBo. I might try to superglue a screwdriver to the screw this weekend...

...boyfriend...doshite sono namae wo toshita ka. kanoujo no tame ni?

fateastray, Aug 29, 2008
  9. mallard

vito0001

cuticle cutters works great, the kind manicurist uses, just use them like tiny little pliers :) think you can find them in stores where they sell nail files and such, hope this helps :D

vito0001, Aug 29, 2008
  10. mallard

Guest Guest

You could try some screwdriver helper powder from a electronics store like this one
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... &SUBCATID=

this will increase the torque you can apply on the screws and make sure you get the right sized driver to do the job.

The other way of doing it is to drill into the screw but be very very careful one slip and it's all over.

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  11. mallard

SbM

You're right. I had trouble unscrewing one of the daughterboard (SD reader/2xUSB/audio) screw, the one on the left towards the top. So I took out the underside door in order to apply pressure from the other side with my finger while unscrewing it, and it worked great. Did the same for all the other screws and everything went fine.

SbM, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question