very specific hardware problem, broamcom bmc70010

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by dijital, Sep 8, 2009.

1. dijital

dijital

Ok, im guessing not many people ( if any ) will be able to help me with this problem.

Right I am installing the Broadcom HD decoder, used the hp drivers, it installed fine, installed total media theatre from hp and that worked fine also, Decoding 1080p mkv's with 20% cpu usage.

My aspire one (ZG5) crashed, I restated and booted up total media theatre but my cpu usage shot up to 100% and it stuttered all over the place. I decided to reinstall total media theatre but got the error that the broadcom decoder was not detected during the set-up.

So I decided to reinstall the drivers for the broadcom hd card, this installed fine (appears in device manager and has no problems), but total media theatre still gives me the 'broadcom decoder is not found' error.

There is no problem with the broadcom card as it works fine in my other laptop, and there is no problem with the pci-e slot in the aspire on as the original wifi card works fine.

I've disconnected anything unnecessary, taken out the extra 1gb ram i installed, reinstalled XP, deleted XP, installed windows 7, deleted windows 7 and reinstalled xp.

Any suggestions?

dijital, Sep 8, 2009
  2. dijital

jerryt

Try toogling the WiFi switch, some of the Broadcom cards are designed for a connection at pin 20.

jerryt, Sep 8, 2009
  3. dijital

dijital

Yea, thought it might have been somthing to do with the switch but it didnt work :(

dijital, Sep 9, 2009
  4. dijital

jerryt

You have reloaded the operating system and it still will not install Total Media Theatre?

Can you use the Broadcom Video Decoder in another application like Windows Media Center? (Using the "Media Center Decoder Utility" (MCDU) tool by Gary Whittaker)

How about downloading Total Media Theatre again...

jerryt, Sep 9, 2009
  5. dijital

dijital

Allready re downloaded TMT from hp and still no luck, uninstalled all software in safe mode, reinstalled, played with the wifi switch even reflashed the bios.

When i had windows 7 installed and used MCDU, the broadcom decoder was not listed.

But the device driver installs without any problems and is listed a working in device manager, this is amazingly frustrating!

dijital, Sep 10, 2009
  6. dijital

jerryt

Download "Directshow filter manager" and see if "Broadcom Video Decoder" is listed on your system. This is your first clue to why TMT does not install.

Did you do reinstalls of the operating system? and still have this problem?

See this thread for information about increase the Broadcom Video Decoder merit value so it can be used by other directshow video players.
    viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13518&start=20#p99618

jerryt, Sep 10, 2009
  7. dijital

dijital

I downloaded Directshow filter manager and Broadcom Video Decoder is listed, its in red if that makes any difference, bumped it up to 'preferred' and still getting the same error.

I don't really want to spend $15 on dvbviewer if it isn't going to work, trying to find and alternative piece of software to use

dijital, Sep 10, 2009
  8. dijital

jerryt

Try KMPlayer and ZoomPlayer they are both great directshow players.

Still very strange that the TMT won't install. Could be a UAC problem under Windows 7.

jerryt, Sep 10, 2009
  9. dijital

dijital

Happening under XP aswell, zoomplayer and kmplayer crash when i try to use the direct show filter, forget this. I give up.

dijital, Sep 12, 2009
  10. dijital

dijital

Damnit! I decided to 'un-give up' on this project. I managed to get my hands on another aspire one.
    And ive got EXACTLY the same problem! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!! :x :x :x :x

I saw another post somewhere on this website with someone having exactly the same problem ( i dont seem to be able to find it now )

dijital, Nov 3, 2009
Ask a Question