Very dim display after 2GB RAM upgrade new 0751h

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Zepp, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Zepp

Zepp

Received a new 0751h from Amazon a week ago, Windows XP, 1GB RAM, BIOS 3204. Bought a 2GB RAM stick a couple of days later, installed it (seated properly), immediately a very dim LCD display that I could only read with a flashlight. Upgraded to new BIOS 3210, everything booted and operated normally, except for same very dim LCD display. Tried putting original 1GB RAM back in, no help with display. Brightness controls no effect. I have looked at every possible monitor and adapter setting, checked all drivers for updates, and nothing helps.

When I attach an external monitor thru VGA port on the netbook, I get normal display on external (that tells me 0751h software is good). What do you think? Some kind of backlight problem or connection? Hard to believe that for new unit less than one week old. Display was fine and bright when I first started it up with the original 1GB RAM installed.

Zepp, Oct 10, 2009
  2. Zepp

AdamElphick

I think maybe just coincidence it happened when you did the RAM, sounds like the led backlight has broken!

AdamElphick, Oct 10, 2009
  3. Zepp

fauxpas

I agree, my be incidental damage when you flipped her over to get to the ram...?

fauxpas, Oct 11, 2009
  4. Zepp

Zepp

I was pretty careful when putting the 2GB RAM stick in, though did use quite a bit of pressure. No other jarring or dropping since I've had it. Curious, where is the backlight physically located, top of screen or bottom? Can I get a schematic? (not that I would attempt to open up the LCD screen)

Zepp, Oct 11, 2009
  5. Zepp

judeh101

try checking the monitor's cable. (the one that connects from the motherboard) that might be loose

judeh101, Oct 11, 2009
  6. Zepp

batteryoung

it might be the occasional phenormenon. not usual.

batteryoung, Oct 19, 2009
  7. Zepp

Zepp

I ended up returning my 0751h to Amazon for exchange, having no success after a week of trying to fix the continuous dim display. Amazon was terrific with the exchange--not a cent of extra cost to me--and they had a new one at my door five days later. Second unit is working great--this is my first laptop of any kind and the 0751h is a nifty netbook with great utility. I put the same 2GB memory card in the exchange unit as the first one--it actually snaps in quite easily and lighter than a desktop card. So maybe I did apply too much pressure the first time around which could have led to my LCD display problems. Case closed; I happy.

Zepp, Oct 19, 2009
Ask a Question