Vast Cluster of Galaxies Spotted in Early Universe: Study

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, May 27, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Scientists, including those of Indian-origin, have discovered a vast collection of young galaxies located 12 billion light years away.

The newly discovered "proto-cluster" of galaxies, observed when the universe was only 1.7 billion years old (12 percent of its present age), is one of the most massive structures known at that distance.

"The protocluster will very likely grow into a massive cluster of galaxies like the Coma cluster, which weighs more than a quadrillion Suns," said Kyoung-Soo Lee, astrophysicist from Purdue University in the US.

Clusters this massive are extremely rare: only a handful of candidates are known at such early times. The new system is the first to be confirmed using extensive spectroscopy to establish cluster membership.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/vast-cluster-of-galaxies-spotted-in-early-universe-study-842510

Sefie, May 27, 2016
  2. Sefie

filmjunkie08

My brain cannot comprehend 12 billion light years.....how far away that must be. The universe is so massive that it scares me a little; I guess, it makes me feel so small and insignificant. Can you imagine everything in the heavens that is left to be discovered? It is mind boggling.

filmjunkie08, Jun 7, 2016
Ask a Question