Using TV as an external monitor

Discussion in 'Linux' started by phuzt, Sep 5, 2008.

1. phuzt

phuzt

I've had to admit defeat with this problem and I wonder if anyone can help me.

One of the first things I tried when I got my One (with Linux) was to plug it into my TV... with no effect. Since then I've changed to the advanced (XFCE) desktop, although that's made no difference. I've tried restarting the laptop and turning the TV on and off again with the cable plugged in, nothing's had any effect.

I have a 5 year old laptop running Windows XP that I plug into my TV (a Toshiba, which is nearly a year old) with the PC RGB cable, press Fn+F5 and there the picture is, on the TV. I've tried the same with my One, but the TV keeps telling me there's no PC input.

I took the One to work to plug it into a monitor there and it worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have another TV to try it on so the only difference I can think of is Linux - either it doesn't like my TV or the TV doesn't like it. Either that or I need to do something else. But searching the forum, I can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

phuzt, Sep 5, 2008
  2. phuzt

karona

Have you switched the TV output on, via Fn-F5, it toggles DISPLAY-BOTH-TV ONLY on successive presses. I use mine with the TV near every evening to watch torrented movies.

Your Tv may also have setup options for the PC input channel, mine switches between HD, Video in, and PC, via the remote, the wrong setting shows a 'no-signal' error

Keith

karona, Sep 5, 2008
  3. phuzt

phuzt

Yes, I've done exactly the same on my One as on my laptop: switched the TV to PC Input and pressed Fn+F5 enough times to go through the whole cycle more than once.

phuzt, Sep 5, 2008
  4. phuzt

runy

Hi,

A question. Your TV is a LCD or CRT?

Regards.

runy, Sep 6, 2008
  5. phuzt

phuzt

LCD

phuzt, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question