using pc to load cd software. xp tweaks?????

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by snowwy66, Sep 12, 2008.

1. snowwy66

snowwy66

i've been using my pc to install cd software into my acer. i have a couple of programs. one is delorme streets and trips. with xp it takes about 2 hours to load. i had vista installed once. it only took about 10 minutes. i've since gone back to factory OS. i don't think i'm willing to shell o ut another 200 bucks or whatever to have a vista cd for my aa1. unless i can find a way around activation. but since getting the factory install back on was a total nightmare. i doubt i be installing any more OS's. anyways, anyone have any ideas on how to make factory xp install in a more faster speed similar to what vista was doing???? my bluetooth software seems to take about the same amount of time. but loading streets is a pain with the factory xp.

snowwy66, Sep 12, 2008
  2. snowwy66

Entropy

DeLorme Streets and Trips?

No such thing exists... There's Microsoft Streets and Trips, and DeLorme Street Atlas USA.

MS S&T 2009 installed and loads just fine on my XP Aspire One, but the program is designed badly with respect to screen real estate usage - it's extremely difficult to work with on the AAO's small screen, and even on a large screen I think it would be a pain.

I haven't tried DeLorme SAUSA 2009 yet, but will be trying soon. Does it take 2 hours to install, or 2 hours to start even after installing? Did the Vista install have an antivirus? Did you try disabling your antivirus when installing under XP? Were you installing via the network? If so, wired or wireless - the initial factory XP wireless drivers for the Aspire One have serious performance problems, you need to update them if you are using wireless and haven't updated yet. http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/10/19 ... indows-xp/

Entropy, Nov 17, 2008
  3. snowwy66

Impulse

Running the default install of Windows XP Home, I installed both MS Office 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2009 on my AA1 over the network and it was a breeze... I did use a wired Ethernet connection though, but it probably didn't even take a full hour between the two, including some time spent configuring/tweaking/etc. I did let Windows Update download the newest version of both my Atheros WiFi driver and my Realtek Ethernet driver beforehand though.

I actually installed MS Office after having installed NIS without any slowdowns too (NIS has actually been pretty lean since the '07 version imo, and '09 is the best yet by far, those '04-06 versions really gave it a bad rap imo). I can't imagine either of those programs would take longer than Office to install, then again if it's a multi-GB install with a lot of map files it very well could (Office's only about a 0.5GB install).

I haven't had any issues whatsoever doing large file transfers over WiFi either, and it's never vanished or stopped working after standby/hibernate as others reported in the past (usually disabling a power-saving option on the adapter fixed that, newer drivers must've done w/o the need for that).

Impulse, Dec 6, 2008
Ask a Question